Pulled my first glass of beer (I use this term loosely) off my keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdgagne

Reaction score
First off happy 4th to all,

I pulled my first glass from my keg this afternoon - it wasn't fully carbed but I couldn't wait any longer. To my surprise it looked like mud... It's a hefeweizen so I was expecting to see some yeast suspension but this looked more like trub than beer. I'm guessing it's common to pull a few cloudy glasses but Im wondering what amount is typical. I pulled a pitchers worth of beer before it was acceptable clarity for this style. Thoughts or suggestions ate welcome :).

I usually run a pint or so on a fresh keg and dump it. Unless I'm constipated. :)

How long do you usually primary/ seconadary? I only primaried this batch for 15 days, no cold crash.

How long do you usually primary/ seconadary? I only primaried this batch for 15 days, no cold crash.

I primary for 2-3 weeks. I don't secondary but I do cold crash which significantly helped clarify my beer before kegging.

This may be a stupid question, but did you avoid the layer of yeast at the bottom of your bucket/carboy when racking to the keg? It sounds like you have a bit more than I was experiencing.

Also, did you force carb or condition in the keg with priming sugar? Priming sugar would result in more yeast than force carbing.

If you can, I definitely recommend cold crashing for a day before racking and force carbing to get clearer beer. Also things like Whirlfloc tablets, irish moss, gelatin, etc. help to clarify beer.

I primary for 2-3 weeks. I don't secondary but I do cold crash which significantly helped clarify my beer before kegging.

This may be a stupid question, but did you avoid the layer of yeast at the bottom of your bucket/carboy when racking to the keg? It sounds like you have a bit more than I was experiencing.

Also, did you force carb or condition in the keg with priming sugar? Priming sugar would result in more yeast than force carbing.

If you can, I definitely recommend cold crashing for a day before racking and force carbing to get clearer beer. Also things like Whirlfloc tablets, irish moss, gelatin, etc. help to clarify beer.

I did (and always) avoid as much trub at the bottom of the fermenter when I racked to my keg. I have a blonde ale going right now, I'll primary it for 18-21 days and then cold crash before I racked it into a keg and see how it goes. No priming sugar in the keg this time around. Thanks

I just kegged my first as well for this 4th of July.

I cold crashed for 72 hours before racking directly into the keg. I only had to dump one pint.

Whats the consensus on cold crashing typically cloudy styles such as hefeweizens?

I just started kegging a month ago and have an IPA, an ESB and a helles on tap.

Ironically the helles is the most cloudy even though it's been in the keezer the longest. I used gelatin on the ESB and just cold crashed the IPA. I expected the ESB to be super clear but it has a slight haze.

Anyways I was surprised that none of then had a lot of yeast in the first pints, I guess cold crashing works.

First off happy 4th to all,

I pulled my first glass from my keg this afternoon - it wasn't fully carbed but I couldn't wait any longer. To my surprise it looked like mud... It's a hefeweizen so I was expecting to see some yeast suspension but this looked more like trub than beer. I'm guessing it's common to pull a few cloudy glasses but Im wondering what amount is typical. I pulled a pitchers worth of beer before it was acceptable clarity for this style. Thoughts or suggestions ate welcome :).

Sounds about right.

Back