PSI and Force Carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AbsoZed

Reaction score
So, as I plan for my first batch to be kegged, I have been reading up on Force Carb. All of my previous batches have been bottled, so I'm trying to read up on this, as it's going to be a new experience as far as homebrew is concerned. I've read quite a few methods, and I've come across THIS One.

It is from Midwest, so it should be reliable info, but what do you guys think? My first thought was that 40 PSI seems damn high for one of those little kegs.

What are your thoughts? Should this work?

Not really good information there. First I have to ask, are you in some sort of rush to drink it? If not, just use the set and forget method. If you must consume it quicker or have an occasion set the Psi to 30 psi for 24 hours, then purge the pressure in the keg and lower to the pressure you actually want the beer to be, say 12 psi just for example, and let it sit another couple of days then take a sample. Should be good to go.

Rev.

Set and forget can take long time especially if you fill your keg really full. My procedure is to keg room temp beer, purge, then roll the keg with the regulator at 30PSI until it sounds like not much more gas is going in. I then put it in the fridge at serving pressure until its ready.

I have tried a lot of ways in the past 7 years. Most recent and favorite being 50psi...yes 50psi for 24 hours (at serving temps obviously). Release the pressure and the beer poured out perfectly carbed.

Thanks for the input guys.

As far as being in a rush goes, not in the least. It's still in primary! Lol.

I just like to plan ahead.

Looking to avoid the roll method, and what Rev said seems to be in line, so I think I'll try that. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. :mug:

set the Psi to 30 psi for 24 hours, then purge the pressure in the keg and lower to the pressure you actually want the beer to be, say 12 psi just for example, and let it sit another couple of days then take a sample. Should be good to go.

Rev.

This is what I do. Set it in the kegerator (it is about 65 degrees when I keg it) for 24-36 hours, then purge and reset at 12 psi. By day 2, it's drinkable and by day 5 it's really nice.

I don't ever shake, as I don't like sediment suspended in my beer and I don't want to risk overcarbing.

While I typically use the Ron Popeil (set it and forget it) method, I have also used a modified shake. Instead of going high pressure, I set it to serving pressure and shake. It will never over-carbonate as you are still only applying 12PSI, but you are maximizing the surface area so the beer absorbs faster. Typically I combine this with 4-5 days to let the now angry beer settle.

I almost always do 30psi @ 40* for 48 hours, then go to 10psi and serve.
Seems to work well for me.

Best way is set it & forget it if you've got the time & other beers on tap.

Back