Pry-off Woodchuck...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franqlyn

Reaction score
I've searched the threads a number of ways and have not found an answer to this. Most of the threads I have found about this resulted in the issue of twist-cap bottles.

I have 15 cases of pry-off woodchuck bottles. I tried to bottle up a micro batch (1 gal) but could not get a good seal.

I'm using a Red Barron wing capper with a standard American bell. the caps set firmly and seem "water tight", but with a small amount of hand pressure, they spin on the rim. If I shake a bottle, I can hear the air coming out.

Has anyone been successful in recapping these? When I "release" the capper, I notice that it gets hung up alittle, resulting in some decent sized scratches inside the bell... so I thought about trying the larger european bell, but didn't know if that was the actual problem. For the number of bottles I have ready to be used, I am not opposed to investing in a bench capper if that is a solid solution either.

Anyone have any ideas?

I've searched the threads a number of ways and have not found an answer to this. Most of the threads I have found about this resulted in the issue of twist-cap bottles.

I have 15 cases of pry-off woodchuck bottles. I tried to bottle up a micro batch (1 gal) but could not get a good seal.

I'm using a Red Barron wing capper with a standard American bell. the caps set firmly and seem "water tight", but with a small amount of hand pressure, they spin on the rim. If I shake a bottle, I can hear the air coming out.

Has anyone been successful in recapping these? When I "release" the capper, I notice that it gets hung up alittle, resulting in some decent sized scratches inside the bell... so I thought about trying the larger european bell, but didn't know if that was the actual problem. For the number of bottles I have ready to be used, I am not opposed to investing in a bench capper if that is a solid solution either.

Anyone have any ideas?

I have had the same problem. I even tried to flip the plates on the capper.

I have not tried those with a wing capper, but a bench capper should fix you up. They do not require a certain space between the ring and the cap to seat well.

I have had no problems with the woodchuck bottles. I use the black beauty capper currently and they go one just fine. I did have some problems with the abita bottles and founders. Not sure why because they appear to be the same size.

I am however upgrading to a bench capper this week. I have done a lot of research and heard of absolutely no issues with any brand if bottles.

Latest posts

Back