Prototype Previews: Hopback and Heat Stick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry about that. I hate letting the pipeline dry up but I didn't want to reorder until enough people had them and provided feedback. The next hundred are in production but too early for an ETA.

Those hot-rods look fantastic, Bobby. If I ever move onto a new setup I'll definitely buy those instead of redrilling etc. I wish I had just gotten some of your element enclosures a year ago instead of mucking with electrical boxes etc.

Just thought I'd post a pic of my solution for holding the Hot Rod. It's just a $3 stainless money clip that I drilled a hole in and re-bent with some needle nose pliers (I did have to shorten the bolt a little). Works great.
photo2_zps01b2a7a5.jpg

Also, this thing is awesome, works flawlessly. On my stove top I can take 8 gallons from 57F to mash temps in 25 min and from there to boiling in just over 20 more. It will just barely maintain a boil with the stove shut off...but to keep things nice and vigorous I leave the stove around med.
I'm using the 2K element btw.

I need to get one... Bobby, Let us know when they are back in stock please

Yep, I waited around too long to order one, now to waitig for the next batch. Was actually looking forward to putting it on my christmas list this year.

Hey Bobby thanks again for the fast shipping and quality products. The heat stick looks amazing can't wait to use it.

Maybe I'm a little confused, and I probably am, but is 120v the standard american outlet? I always thought it was 110v. And would the heat stick with a 2000watt or 2500watt element work with a standard 2 prong plug attached to heat up strike water or even come to a boil at 7 gal for 5 gal batches? thanks in advance

There is no definite American standard. 110 115 and 120 are used interchangeably within the US depending on your infrastructure. The actual load at the meter comes in the form of 220 230 or 240v for residential. And your standard appliances use one leg of that. It is possible to achieve a boil with a 2000-2500w element, but it may take some time to get there. And you should never use a 2 prong plug with anything that comes in contact with liquid( I know your coffee pot only has 2 prongs). A 3 prong grounded plug is required for this project.

I use my 2kw Hot Rod and 10 gallon aluminum kettle as a hot water source in my garage. I plug it into a timer in case I walk off and forget it. I set the timer to shut down in 45 minutes and it will bring 6-7 gallons very close to 180f if I do not shut it down early. That is with water starting in the 65f range. It will definitely bring 7+ gallons to a boil if you are patient. The one time I did bring the kettle to a boil with the heat stick I did not measure the water level or time. It was actually unintentional and is the event which led to me deciding to utilize the timer.

Can the 5000 watt heat stick work on a conventional 3 prong 120v outlet? I will be moving to 220 at some point, but if I can buy this and have it work in my current apartment as well that would be fantastic.

Can the 5000 watt heat stick work on a conventional 3 prong 120v outlet? I will be moving to 220 at some point, but if I can buy this and have it work in my current apartment as well that would be fantastic.

Yes. You can run a 220v element on 110v. A 5500w element is good for about 1375w at 110v. A 5000w element would put out 1250w at 110v.

Right, you CAN use it on 120v but 1375 watts is really slow at heating and I don't think you'll get it to boil anything unassisted. If you're stuck on 120v, make sure it's a 20a circuit and use the 2000w element until you get a 240v circuit.

Thinking of building a temp control box to use with a herms system so my mash is more accurate.. should a 2000watt element be good on a 110v/120v standard 3 prong cord to maintain up to 160F? what do u guys think? Dont know if I will lose watts using it on a lower voltage..

A 2000 watt 110v element (one intended for 110v is what Bobby meant) will be plenty to maintain mash temp. Like Bobby said just make sure you have a 20 amp circuit to plug it into.

A 2000 Watt 220v element (if they make one even) would be too small.

Thanks. In the beginning, I will only be using it to heat to mash temp (via temp controller, overnight, to wake up and mash in) so 1375 watts will be plenty.

Hopefully I'll be able to do a second test in a week or so using the new screens you sent Bobby.

The anticipation is killing me. Hoping it's available next week and doesn't get sold out before I have a chance to hit the "buy me" button

So far so good. Should be about a week now and I have 50 units coming. Probably 20 will go in the first two days, then a slowing. I doubt anyone that is currently waiting will get snubbed.

Any news on revisions to the hopback. I've still got a little more testing to do. But I could use the discount and prize money soon. I want to upgrade to a 30 plate long chiller. :)

Did a test today using the hopback as a filter for my whirlpool. 5.25oz of pellet hops. It didn't go so well. I think I used too much rice hulls. It clogged up in a couple minutes. It did filter out a bunch of gunk though. I'll probably run another hopback test next weekend.

Awesome! I don't suppose you can hold my order and add one on? If it's possible I'll gladly send you my order info.

Edit: (I also understand if you don't want an order sitting around the shop longer than it needs to, so it's all good)

Latest posts

Back