Protein rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lynwitte

Reaction score
I am going to brew a pilsner and the recipe calls for a 120 degree rest Protien? My question is do i drain and then do the sach rest at 153 or do i just bring up the temp and go from there? I've also read that you dont even need that rest what are my options?

Lyn

I never do protein rests. Using a cooler for a mash tun doesn't make it easy.

Don't drain. Simply infuse enough boiling water to bring the mash up to 153 and then rest.

If you're using pilsner as a base malt...make sure to do a 90 minute boil to avoid DMS.

What is the recipe? Most malts today are fully modified and don't really need a protein rest but to answer your question you just bring the temp up to 153, no drain.

edit: What quick draw McGraw said. :)

Even highly modfied grains benefit from using a rest, especially to eliminate protien haze. Start with 1 qt of water to 1 lb of grain. This will leave you enough water to add to raise the temp for sacchrification. Start at 120 and rest for 20 minutes then figure enough boiling water to add to raise to a temp between 152 and 154. Let it rest for an additional 40 to 60 minutes. Do an iodine test to ensure that your grains are converted, vourlaf, sparge, and boil (90 minutes is key to eliminate or greatly reduce DMS as stated in a previous post).

Good luck!

- WW

You could try a decoction mash. Check out Kaiser's videos on the sticky. Stepping in a cooler tun is really really really hard, since the temp loss of your cooler is so unpredictable. If you really want to step, build a heatstick. I built mine with about $20 in parts and an hour's time. Heat sticks rock. :rockin:

Back