Pros/cons/opinions non-fermentable sweeteners for cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manhands

Reaction score
What is everyone's opinion of these 3 non-fermentable sweeteners that can be used for cider?

What are some pros or cons of each, which do you prefer and why?

1. Xylitol
2. Lactose
3. Stevia

Stevia can leave a slightly licorice-like aftertaste, which I think would be good with apple, but don't overdo it! It's one of those things which is much-sweeter-per-volume than sugar, and too much can also leave a slight bitterness, at least in baking.
Don't know anything about the others.

i like xilitol, no weird aftertaste, use it for both cider and kombucha (my daughter refuses to drink unsweetened kombucha).

it is not a zero calorie sweetener though.

i use stevia in coffee or black tea, as their bitterness masks the stevia aftertaste enough so i don't mind.

have not tried lactose.

J.

I tried this brand of stevia the other day just by itself out of the packet, and it was terrible. Had like a chemical-type taste to it. Not sure if you would get a better result once added to the cider, but didnt seem worth the try.

truv.jpg

I use xylitol, but in moderation. about 3 TBSP per gallon for semi-sweet and can't tell it from real sugar. I hate diet sodas and the aftertaste of artificial sweeteners, but xylitol doesn't give any of that.

Back