Pros and cons of "fast ferment" ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here’s an update that’s past due. The ball and keg chiller loop works great on my 7 gallon fastferment. Drilled a hole on the lid to fit the #10 stopper that came with the loop. Drilled the new hole at the location where the airlock hole was previously located in the lid. Running some frozen water bottles in the cooler changed twice a day to keep things at 63F. Once midday and once before heading to bed. If you grab bags of ice even better. This device cools rapidly and keeps temps great. It’s well made. Though I’ve only gone to 63F feel like you could get to lagering temps easy. Especially with a jacket. It would just be a matter of how much maintenance to maintain those temps for a long period of time? That said I’m in Florida so don’t have the benefit of “cool times”. It’s ales or lagers fermented at ale temps for me.
Here’s a pic. Hope this helps since I could not find a lot on the inter webs about modifying a FF with a chiller loop.

B9766422-5304-445B-BD44-D8A4ED325986.jpeg

What did you use for the reducer? I have been trying to find something that would work. Any help you could give would be amazing. Thanks. Cheers!

I dont remember where it came from but its diameter on one side is bigger . It worked but did leak a tiny bit . My advice is spend a few bucks on spigot . It will make it so much easier .

I dont remember where it came from but its diameter on one side is bigger . It worked but did leak a tiny bit . My advice is spend a few bucks on spigot . It will make it so much easier .

Thank you so much for the response. I had the spigot on my first FastFerment and I hated it because I felt like it was just always in the way, although I think I may have put it in the wrong place....I may have to try it again and see what I can do. It does seem like an easy way to do it from the spigot, especially if it's places low enough. Thanks again. Cheers.

Closed transfer like vtx1300 said

What is the actual step by step with this process? What pressure is the keg? Do you connect the CO2 line first to the fermenter or start filling the keg first? Sorry just trying to understand so I can incorporate with my FastFerment and minimize oxidation

Transfer tube off of the spigot to the kegs out port . Connect the air lock of fermenter and keg in port via tube .

If you have the fermenter higher then keg then it will Transfer via gravity easily. If it's not elevated you'll need co2 connected to air lock pushing 2 psi instead.

You don't need any pressure in the keg . Only time that's needed is if your beer is already carbed and fv is pressured . Then you'd want your keg a couple psi less then your fv .

Transfer tube off of the spigot to the kegs out port . Connect the air lock of fermenter and keg in port via tube .

If you have the fermenter higher then keg then it will Transfer via gravity easily. If it's not elevated you'll need co2 connected to air lock pushing 2 psi instead.

You don't need any pressure in the keg . Only time that's needed is if your beer is already carbed and fv is pressured . Then you'd want your keg a couple psi less then your fv .
Okay great, thanks for the quick response. I assumed you needed some pressure in the keg as well.

Back