Propane usage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatabbot

Reaction score
Ok, I've boiled up two batches so far (I use a turkey fryer outside).

I have two propane tanks. Each one was full before being used for a 1 hour boil (plus steeping etc.), each.

Anyone have any experience to know if I need to buy more, or will what's left in the two be sufficient for another boil tomorrow? I'd hate to waste money on more propane, but I'd really hate to waste a batch of beer because I had to get propane in the middle of a boil. I really can't tell how much is left by the weight of the tanks and they don't have gauges.

Mike's Brew and Brat said:
I'm in the same boat. Did two batches on the same tank. I read somewhere on here that most everyone gets 4 batches from a full tank.
This also depends on HOW you brew. Doing all grain will use more from your tanks than extract, as you have to heat up strike water and sparge water as well as boiling the runoff to get your wort. Straight extracts or extract/specialty grains don't use near as much propane.

Mike's Brew and Brat said:
I'm in the same boat. Did two batches on the same tank. I read somewhere on here that most everyone gets 4 batches from a full tank.

Well, this post helps me tremendously, thanks! :tank:

Since each tank only has one batch (brewer's best extract kit), I should be fine.

Thanks again.

If anyone else has any firsthand experience, please share it.

I get 4-5 AG batches and 7-8 extracts. If you have two tanks, as I do, run one tank until empty, IMMEDIATELY put it in your vehicle. Then come back and finish on the fresh tank. Since the empty will be banging aroung in your car, you'll remember to fill it. Nothing worse than going to the expense of having two tanks and when you grab the "full" one, it's empty.

I timed my last two fills with a 55K Btu burner they averaged 9hrs 12 min of burning time (on 3 gallon batches) Since I have now officially gone AG I'm figuring bigger longer boils I'll get less per tank (these are Blue rhino tanks, so since they are not consistant, hard to give a per gallon burn rate)

Dude said:
Shoot guys....I'm using almost 3/4 of a tank for every brew session.

I only brew 5 gallon batches.

I only boil for 75 minutes.

i only use propane for the boil, and use the kitchen stove for everything else.

I now use an efficient burner as opposed to my old jet burner, which cuts the propane usage by approximately 50%

My last tank of propane gave me 7 * 6.5g * 75 minute boils

-a.

cap46 said:
Ok buning question??? what kind of burner.
See here and look under equipment for Karp’s Special King Kooker.

It needed a bit of adjustment to reduce the air intake, but apart from that I am very pleased with it.

-a.

You may as well used preheated water from your water tank to save time and propane tank fills. I ran it through a carbon filter out of my house faucet and filled my HLT and it was at 114F instead of 70F.

3-4 batches per tank - of course i brew in the brewshed so that may be the differance

Dude said:
Wow! Are you doing 10 gallon batches? I can get about 4 5.5 gallon AG batches out of mine. Maybe we use different boil rates. I keep mine at a rolling boil but no higher.

i was watching alton Brown's show on grilling and he showed a way to tell how much propane is in a tank: Pour a few cups of boiling water down the side of the tank, then feel the side and where the tank starts to be cold is the level of propane. i havent tried this yet but it sounds like it works. They also sell at home depot strips that go on the side of the tank that tells you the level.

RichBrewer said:
Wow! Are you doing 10 gallon batches? I can get about 4 5.5 gallon AG batches out of mine. Maybe we use different boil rates. I keep mine at a rolling boil but no higher.

I'm doing 10 gal batches, and still get about 4 brew sessions out of my tank.

Propane usage is greatly effected by the wind conditions - it blows away the heat uselessly.:mad: It should be roughly the diameter of your pot.
Make sure you don't make it too tight or it will reduce your efficiency by restricting your air flow and potentially overheating the surface your burner stands on - I have a nice scorch mark on my porch from 2 yrs ago!:rolleyes:
To further maximize your heat retention (and minimize propane usage) you can make a similar aluminum jacket to fit around your boiling pot.:)
The way I look at it, why waste money. Instead of heating the neighborhood, I can jingle that change in my pocket while still drinking a really good beer! :cool:

Fatabbot said:
Ok, I've boiled up two batches so far (I use a turkey fryer outside).

I have two propane tanks. Each one was full before being used for a 1 hour boil (plus steeping etc.), each.

Anyone have any experience to know if I need to buy more, or will what's left in the two be sufficient for another boil tomorrow? I'd hate to waste money on more propane, but I'd really hate to waste a batch of beer because I had to get propane in the middle of a boil. I really can't tell how much is left by the weight of the tanks and they don't have gauges.

If you want to know how much propane is left, just put it on the bathroom scale, then subtract the tare weight (usually 17 lb). The tare weight of the container is stamped on the upper ring of the tank. It'll say something like "TW=17.0"
That should give you an idea of how much gas is left.

ablrbrau said:
If you want to know how much propane is left, just put it on the bathroom scale, then subtract the tare weight (usually 17 lb). The tare weight of the container is stamped on the upper ring of the tank. It'll say something like "TW=17.0"
That should give you an idea of how much gas is left.
Good advice...sort of.

The # of pounds of propane left is useless knowledge unless you have some idea of how much time/use you get per pound of propane. It seems the original poster doens't know this, so the amount in weight of propane in the tank is something that won't really provide him much info at this point.

Dude said:

Holy crap! Who did you buy your burner from? Lockheed? If it uses that much gas it sounds like it could power a small jet.

bikebryan said:
Good advice...sort of.

The # of pounds of propane left is useless knowledge unless you have some idea of how much time/use you get per pound of propane. It seems the original poster doens't know this, so the amount in weight of propane in the tank is something that won't really provide him much info at this point.

True, but it is good advice going forward.

Lots of good advice here, as usual.

bikebryan said:
Good advice...sort of.

Assuming that the tank was used only for beer brewing it shoud be rather easy to figure that out.. If you brewed two batches and have 5 lb left from a 20 lb cylinder, then you used 7.5 lb per batch. If the tank was used for something other than brewing as well, then you'd have to start over with a new experiment, like starting with a new tank or at least one with a known amount of propane. :mug:

Back