Propane usage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frenchy

Reaction score
For those of you that use propane burners to boil, does anyone have any idea how much propane you tend to use while doing a 1 hr boil? I have a burner, but i need to get a tank. I'm trying to figure out how large of a tank i need to get.

Really, it depends how much you crank it up. I get several batches out of mine with a 5 gal while others only get three of four. I heat my mash and sparge water inside on the stove and only use the propane for the boil.

It takes me about 18 minutes to get to a boil with about a 2" flame. If you crank it up like a jet engine and get to boil temp in ten minutes, you will use a lot more.

I can get 4 to 5 ten gallon batches out of my 20lb propane tank. Do yourself a favor and get two tanks. This way if you do run out (and it happens to all of us at some point) you have a backup. My backup is used by our Weber.

But, I was thinking the other day I'd love to get a 40lb tank.

Obviously that'll be highly dependent on your burner and how you set your regulator. With an SP10, I use roughly 1.5 lb/hr. So I can get 4-6 brew sessions out of a 17 lb fill, varying mostly with how windy it is.

Definitely get 2 tanks so you don't worry about running out. I used to get about 3 batches per 17 lb tank, but then I changed my system so I could start heating the wort as I was lautering. Now I get 5 or 6 batches, (10 gallon) easy.

I always seem to be running out between two tanks. I AG and use one to boil my strike/sparge water and another for my boil. Had to run to the store for an exchange on a few occasions which is annoying and not cost effective. I've been looking at either going electric or getting a natural gas line installed to prevent those problems.

Thanks, that really helps. I have a really small tank that i use for small fish frys, and was planning on getting a 20 lb tank, but wasn't sure how long it would last.

I can get 4 to 5 ten gallon batches out of my 20lb propane tank. Do yourself a favor and get two tanks. This way if you do run out (and it happens to all of us at some point) you have a backup. My backup is used by our Weber.

But, I was thinking the other day I'd love to get a 40lb tank.

Anything other than a 20lb tank is now highly illegal to transport unless it's standing upright, strapped down and in the back of a truck. It's basically like carrying around a bomb; if you get in an accident and puncture the tank, you could blow up the block. The filling stations aren't supposed to fill ur tank unless you do it legally b/c they could get heavily fined, not to mention, if you got caught, it's like a $10K fine. but if u have a truck and some tie downs, ur all good. .........used to have a 100lb tank

I actually weigh my tanks after each brew so I know how much propane is left in them. I use one tank each for the HLT and Kettle and just refill them at the same time even though they may not run down at the same rate. BBQ tank is a back up.

Here is the spreadsheet I use to track the usage.

5641670907_5709a00488_b.jpg

I actually weigh my tanks after each brew so I know how much propane is left in them. I use one tank each for the HLT and Kettle and just refill them at the same time even though they may not run down at the same rate. BBQ tank is a back up.

Here is the spreadsheet I use to track the usage.

*snip*

You've GOTTA be an engineer. Very cool :mug:.

Yep, 2x20 pounders. The tare weight of each tank is listed below it and I'm using 4.24 lb/gal. This actually works better than the "how much did they fill the tank to" like you would in your car since some places will fill a little higher or lower. A 20 lb tank should hold 4.72 gallons but I never get that much.

Latest posts

Back