Propane Tank vs Environment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewin06111

Reaction score
So I have a brew session planned for tonight and it is currently 17 degrees outside and it is forecasted to be 12 tonight. The propane tank is outside right now.. Does the temperature ever get too cold for propane so the tank doesn't work correctly? I'd rather not bring it inside to warm it up.

Thanks

I know that I have grilled outside on a gas grill at around 20 degrees several times. Other than it taking awhile for the grill to heat up I didn't see any ill effects.

I am sure plenty of people have experience with big burners though.

I have no citation on operating temps, but it is 18 outside right now and my tank is working just fine (at my parents in asheville, NC)

I think you would have to get below -55 (boiling point of propane)... but even then, it is pressurized, so I am not sure. And the 20lb home tanks work on vapor, not full liquid IIRC, so that may negate the whole thing.

Any MN brewers out there brewing at -60 to let us know?! :mug:

sitting talking with folks over here... the larger the tank, the better it works in the cold (maybe using vapor already in the headspace?)

little portable tanks apparently dont work well under 20 degrees.

Big house tanks take low temps no problem.

Everyone thinks you are crazy, but 12 degrees will still work!

It's a 15 pound tank.

And... aren't we all a little crazy? I'll be in the garage with both doors open so I don't get the wind chill at least...

I brewed outside today and it took an hour to get to a boil and I couldn't hold it. Missed my OG big time. Of course there was a windchill of probably close to 0. No wind tomorrow so I'm hoping I can get a boil going.

I do notice a drop in pressure in very low temps when my tank is getting low; no issues if it's close to full. I brewed at about 18 degrees a week ago with no problems. I've seen photos of guys brewing in subzero with little propane tanks. I haven't tried it, but someone mentioned putting your tank in a tub of warm water if you are having issues.

Bigger tanks absolutely work better in the cold than the smaller tanks do. My last brew day it was 45F outside, and my KAB5 with a 30PSI regulator was pulling gas so hard that I had 1/2 inch of ice on the tank, and the valve was froze up hard. I have to keep the damn thing in a tub of warm water for anything below 50F.

if your having a problem with the tank sputtering or icing over, i dump my spent grains in a trash bag and then set the tank into the grains to keep the tank warm.

I just finished without issue.. It sure was cold... 6 degrees right now.. Nailed my OG at 1.06 :)

Thanks for the replies.

Propane is good to -43F. The two problems are butane, which is common in LPG and boils at 32F, and small tanks not being able to transfer enough heat into the propane when it's cold outside. I hope you never live somewhere that people light wood fires under their propane tanks in the winter.

LPG as mentioned above has a very low temp for converting to gas. The lower the temp, the lower the pressure you'll get on your burner. But you shouldn't be wasting more gas.

LPG can freeze. Most likely it will be in the line on an absurdly cold day with a lot of wind exposure and humidity in the air. I was camping on one absurd cold day. No warm food then either wasn't any fun.

Because of the very low boil point of LPG, with small tanks just opening a valve allows you to pull off gas. Now if someone is using a really really big tank, you need a propane vaporisor to make the conversion.

I have the luxury of brewing in the house but did have problems last month on a very cold day with the grill...regulator froze up trying to smoke some ribs...I would not have had fun if I was brewing!!!

:(

You should be fine. We use propane heaters for ice fishing and lots of times guys will be out when its -20 F and running propane heaters in their shacks (with the tank outside.)
Having a full tank will make a difference in really cold weather (colder the temperature, the less vapor pressure)
When you use the tank, it will get super cold though. I had a tank freeze to the ground when it was 60 degrees outside.

Back