propane tank issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iambw

Reaction score
set up to brew today just on the edge of garage door but for some reason the propane tan kept freezing (-9 c) and i could not reach a rolling boil. the question i have is "has anyone done a re-boil to hit your needed brew specs before you start to ferment?" wort is chilling now but sg was way too low to ferment.

Putting your tank in a tub with warm water prevents it from freezing up.

How far off the OG are you?

If you reboil, all your late addition hops from the first time become bittering hops to some extend, so your IBUs will rise. That could be OK for some styles. Add new aroma hops at flameout, and do a hop stand at 190°F for 15-30 minutes. Then off to chill.

Putting your tank in a tub with warm water prevents it from freezing up.

How far off the OG are you?

If you reboil, all your late addition hops from the first time become bittering hops to some extend, so your IBUs will rise. That could be OK for some styles. Add new aroma hops at flameout, and do a hop stand at 190°F for 15-30 minutes. Then off to chill.
thank kindly for that info. will try that the first opportunity i can out again without evrything freezing up here.

Cold weather and a hungry wide-open burner are a recipe for an iced up propane tank. As was stated earlier, bring it in the house to warm it to room temp before you use it, and if needed use a warm water bath to help prevent it from icing.

Back