Propane orifices help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malador

Reaction score
I want to be able control different heat levels on a BG14 banjo burner with solenoids. I am thinking about using three solenoid valves with three different sizes of orifices in parrell to accomplish this. Each orifice would be twice the 'size' of the previous orifice. When all three orifices are flowing I would have 100% heat. By using a combination of these orifices I can get a binary system and seven different levels of heat.

Can anyone tell me if this sounds feasible? If so, what size of orifices would I need? I've read about gas and orifices for hours, but I’m still confused.

The orifice size i came up, and i'm probably wrong, is with is 56, 68, and 73 using 5 psi. That’s assuming the burner is rated at 100K BTU.

How would you connect these three orifices to the burner throat? I've assumed that the velocity of the gas at the orifice output pulls combustion air into the burner venturi. Are you going to somehow merge the three orifice outputs together to a single wide port you can thread into the burner opening?

Cheers!

How would you connect these three orifices to the burner throat? I've assumed that the velocity of the gas at the orifice output pulls combustion air into the burner venturi. Are you going to somehow merge the three orifice outputs together to a single wide port you can thread into the burner opening?

Cheers!

I was going to make a brass manifold, kind of like on a keezer uses. But now that you mention velocity, i'm not sure that will work. I had assumed that the orfices were just there to limit flow.:smack:

Back