Propane burner question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ERASMO

Reaction score
Is there a propane burner that is ok to use inside??

It is difficult for me to do my brewing outside and am looking for something to use inside for 5 gallon batches. I dont think I want to build an electric unit.
My home stove doesnt have enough power.

Any Ideas?

What is the difference between using all four burners of the house propane range top and using a propane "turkey fryer" type of burner in the basement from a carbon monoxide stand point.

Thanks.

My propane cook top has an extra large burner with a Power Boil setting so you might look into something like that. I don't have the original paper work so I don't know how many BTU's it is suppose to be. But judging from experience I'd say it's at least on par with any of the turkery fryers you'd find at Home Depot or Walmart now days.

CO ( Carbon monoxide) is produced when there is not enough O2 (oxygen) for combustion. The reason to keep a window or door open and fresh air entering into the room is to supply O2 for combustion. When there is an adequate amount of O2 for the combustion process then mostly CO2 (carbon dioxide) is produced from the combustion process. But unless that CO2 is replaced by O2 then the amount of CO will increase. CO is poison most people except the EPA and environmentalist consider CO2 harmless.

Thanks for that.

I could place my turkey fryer burner in my basement which would be directly next to a large open window. Would that cause a hazard. I could even put a fan in the window for extra ventilation.

It's a hazard anytime you use an appliance designed to be used outdoors, indoors. There is a reason why these things have warnings on them saying not for use indoors. Lot's of guys ignore the warnings and brew indoors, but what do you say to the insurance company when you try to collect on an incident caused by an accident with a propane turkey fryer being used in the basement? Do what you want, but to me this is just a hobby and not worth the risk.

I know you said you didn't want to go electric, but I think a heatstick in conjunction with your current stove could be a half-way decent solution. If I were in your shoes, that's the route I would probably look at...

In my humble opinion turkey fryers have warning lables that they are for outside use only for a multitude of reasons:

1.We are now a letigious society where a person can and will sue a manufactor because of that person's own stupidity, ignorance and or carelessness and WIN!

2. Large amounts of oil and an open flame is an invitation to a fire. Outside this is considerably less dangerous than inside.

3. Many people are so stupid and addled brained that they actually drop still frozen turkeys into 300*F oil and are shocked and surprised at the ensuing explosion.

4. Last but certainly not least is the person that has no idea that there are devices called carbon monoxide detectors, no idea that the O2 used in combustion needs to be replaced with fresh O2 and will kill themselves and the entire household by carbon monoxide poisioning without ever seeking to learn more or enlighten themselves as to the dangers involved and how to mitigate them. Despite the fact that there is a world of information literally at their finger tips.

Such that the warning lable is cheap insurance for the manufactor for peoples ignorance, stupidity and carelessness. It's a sad state of affairs if you ask me. But I guess the lawyers love it.

This is an opinion only and is not a recommendation of use for any type of devise for any purpose whatsoever either indoors or outdoors.

How's that for a disclaimer? :D

If you have a window cracked open for ventilation and the flame is not near anything that will burn then I say go for it.

It may be a bad idea on a vinyl or wood floor. But OK on a tile or concrete floor. Make sure the drapes don't accidentally blow into the flame. Just be super careful and maybe keep a fire extinguisher handy.

I use mine in the garage all the time. It's not that much different then being in the basement or even in the kitchen.

One word of caution! So not store propane tanks indoors. If they leak, the propane will sink to the floor and build as a liquid. One little spark and you will have a major bang. Keep the tanks outside when not in use.

If you have a window cracked open for ventilation and the flame is not near anything that will burn then I say go for it.

It may be a bad idea on a vinyl or wood floor. But OK on a tile or concrete floor. Make sure the drapes don't accidentally blow into the flame. Just be super careful and maybe keep a fire extinguisher handy.

I use mine in the garage all the time. It's not that much different then being in the basement or even in the kitchen.

One word of caution! So not store propane tanks indoors. If they leak, the propane will sink to the floor and build as a liquid. One little spark and you will have a major bang. Keep the tanks outside when not in use.

Sorry I am going to rant but this is a good example of exactly what not to say. I don't understand why people openly encourage other people to so something obviously dangerous. "If you have a window cracked open for ventilation and the flame is not near anything that will burn then I say go for it". I wonder how you would feel if the guy took your advice, and accidentally burned his house down. If you want to do something that is dangerous, fine, if something goes wrong it's your problem, but don't encourage someone else to take the same risks you are taking.

FWIW, I am in the "dont use a high powered outdoor cooker, indoors" club

There is a lot of risk involved.

You may end up living in a hotel room telling your wife and kids that you are sorry about the house, I mean it is just beer, I wont risk a lot for this hobby.

The choice is yours, there is a lot of risk. Do people do it? Yup. They are comfortable with the risk/reward ratio, I am not, and since you are asking this question, doesnt seem like you are either. So there is your answer.

This seems really out of place to me... dont store the tanks indoors, but certainly feel free to open the valve and burn the burner indoors.

Sorry I am going to rant but this is a good example of exactly what not to say. I don't understand why people openly encourage other people to so something obviously dangerous. "If you have a window cracked open for ventilation and the flame is not near anything that will burn then I say go for it". I wonder how you would feel if the guy took your advice, and accidentally burned his house down. If you want to do something that is dangerous, fine, if something goes wrong it's your problem, but don't encourage someone else to take the same risks you are taking.

OK I'll add to my original message.

Don't burn your house down or get hurt or have anything bad happen and it should work out fine. Just make sure it you don't have a disaster and I think it will be great. Be careful with boiling liquids cause they are hot and could burn you. Don't drink the bottle of Iodphor because it will probably make you sick.

Life is full of risks. I bet thousands of homes burn down from candles. Should we never have candles indoors? Lots of people die from falling asleep with a lit cigarette. Should they stop smoking after 10:30?

To the OP: don't burn your house down cause that's just not cool.

Thanks for all the input!

I was also wondering if there was some type of indoor safe burner to use. Maybe that I could hook up into my homes propane system with safety devices as part of the unit.

You wouldnt smoke a cigarette in bed would you?

You wouldnt burn a candle on a stack of old newspapers would you?

There are plenty of risks in life, agreed, the key is mitigating the risks to a reasonable level.

Now it comes down to what each individual finds reasonable.

I find it reasonable to store my propane outdoors for my grill.

I also find it reasonable, since I wont store a tank with a closed valve indoors, not to then bring it indoors, open the valve and light a huge fire within 6' of it in a mostly enclosed space.

That is me, it is up to the OP, but he doesnt sound REAL comfortable with the idea of it in the first place. I love my brewing bretheren, I just want to see them healthy and happy.

what do you say to the insurance company when you try to collect on an incident caused by an accident with a propane turkey fryer being used in the basement?

This is the take home point. Imagine burning down your house with all your belongings and not getting an insurance payment.

If you rent, have no assets (for when your landlord sues you), and hate your landlord then I say go for it.

Thanks for all the input!

I was also wondering if there was some type of indoor safe burner to use. Maybe that I could hook up into my homes propane system with safety devices as part of the unit.

Have not seen one, but I dont look for them much either.

This is the take home point. Imagine burning down your house with all your belongings and not getting an insurance payment.

If you rent, have no assets (for when your landlord sues you), and hate your landlord then I say go for it.

I agree whole heartedly. This is a hobby, my home is where I raise my family. One is a luxury, one is a necessity. I could never look my wife and kids in the eyes if something happened to our home, our security, because I did something that was not necessary and happened to be full of risks that I KNEW existed.

My wife would slap me and ask "why didnt you use that thing outdoors like it sayes?" My response "because it was cold". Her response "well we live in a friggin Maytag box now, are you cold now?" My response "yup".
That is just me, others may have other opinions.

I will continue to dissent with most on this subject.

If used with the same care as natural gas, IMHO, there is no reason to fear the use of propane indoors. Make proper use of CO monitors and provide ventilation.

There are propane free standing burners, home stoves and heaters represented as being safe for indoor use, even for home brewing.

http://www.usepropane.com/faq/

http://www.brupaks.com/gas burners.htm

http://www.google.com/products/cata...CIQrQQwAA&cid=12204226352552464217&sa=title#p

http://www.jcwhitney.com/jcwhitney/...88&zmam=73771597&zmas=21&zmac=122&zmap=533588

Like using almost anything else, you can screw up. Water (drowning) kills over 4000 people a year in the US.

If you're being careful enough to be around 5 or 10 gallons or even more of boiling liquid, you can handle propane.

I'll go back to my original assertion that if a portable turkey fryer and LP tank presents an unacceptable risk to you and yours. There are indoor stoves and cooktops that run on LP or Natural Gas sold by Home Depot, Lowes and others @ between $750-$1500 that will do the job on 5 gallon boils. I don't know what a fixed 125 gallon stationary LP tanks goes for these days. But I'd estimate $500 from an LP supplier or you could rent for probably $60-100 a year. If you have access to Natural Gas then you have no need for LP. As a matter of fact LP is much more expensive. Especially if you buy it 4 gallons at a time in portable tanks.

I'm sure you see where this is going Big $$$$ That's why so many people do it with turkey fryers and portable LP tanks the low cost of entry.

Back