Propane burner indoors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wing Nut

Reaction score
Ok this might be a dumb question but is it ok to run my propane burner indoors? I have a fairly large basement and was going to put an exhaust hood over the brew rig to get rid of the water vapor and fumes. The main reason I ask is it would be more convient to assemble the rig in the basement and leave it there vs making it so I can take it apart and into the driveway each time I want to use it. What is everyones thoughts?

Wing Nut

MAKE SURE that vent hood is working well, and make sure that you have a carbon monoxide monitor nearby also, we don't need any dead homebrewers.

get a CO monitor if your going to do this. Also not the best idea. and How big of a ventilation hood..You will need vertical and horizontal ventilation. put a fan outside the door to the basement facing and blow everything out another door or large window..
Get a CO monitor. Anything under 500ppm although not safe is not lethal, by not safe I mean you will be messed up. OSHA regs say a max of 50ppm if you are going to be exposed more then 1 hour working. Just not safe considering that most CO monitors will not alarm till they have been at 30-50ppm for 3 hours. With my fire department, we will evacuate any building that is over 30ppm and ventilate the whole building. Just go outside!~

you can as long as you have adequate ventilation. and +1 on the CO monitor just to be safe.

I have plans on doing this myself, and I agree 100% with adequate ventilation and a CO monitor. If you find a good price - get two and keep on different battery cycles - better safe than dead.

But it has to be said - not brewing outdoors on a cold day can make the time go much better.

I would think you would something more like this.

I would be kind of difficult look and check the colors of the one you linked if you were passed out. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wing Nut said:
Ok this might be a dumb question but is it ok to run my propane burner indoors? I have a fairly large basement and was going to put an exhaust hood over the brew rig to get rid of the water vapor and fumes. The main reason I ask is it would be more convient to assemble the rig in the basement and leave it there vs making it so I can take it apart and into the driveway each time I want to use it. What is everyones thoughts?

Wing Nut

Also - not all vent hoods actually vent to the outside. Some - like mine - are simply circulators.

i brew in a single car garage with a friend so we have two burners going full blast at times. I've got a digital CO detector and when the CO level starts climbing i just open the doors a little and the CO goes down pretty quickly.

when it's nice outside it's not an issue as we open the doors but when it's cold it's a balancing act to keep the garage warm but also keep the CO level at 0.

Does unburnt LP register on a CO2 meter? Remember that it pools in low areas and if you're not venting the entire space it could ignite from the burner.

What about this scenario? I was thinking about doing it in my kitchen. I have a set of french doors leading out to the back deck. I also have a window I can set it by. My kitchen floor is ceramic tiles. Will having a burner set up on the floor have any negative effects on the tile? Just wondering if any one has done this.

Thanks

Eh I dunno how a tile floor will like the heat from the burner, I personaly would not want to find out unless I was updating the kitchen. Though I have built fires on concreate that resulted in the ground exploding, so I may just be paranoid.

zman said:
What about this scenario? I was thinking about doing it in my kitchen. I have a set of french doors leading out to the back deck. I also have a window I can set it by. My kitchen floor is ceramic tiles. Will having a burner set up on the floor have any negative effects on the tile? Just wondering if any one has done this.

Thanks

That sounds like asking for trouble between boil-overs, sanitizers, leaky chillers and dragging stuff around.

This is an accident waiting to happen. Check the statistics to see how many people have died because they wanted to cook indoors. Stovetops are much different than a 50,000 BTU burner. I would advise to suck it up and cook outdoors with this equipment. THIS IS A BAD IDEA!
Before people write back and say, "If you take necessary precautions you'll be fine," just remember that many people that take those same precautions set fire to their house or die every year doing the same thing.

Quinnerman123 said:
This is an accident waiting to happen. Check the statistics to see how many people have died because they wanted to cook indoors. Stovetops are much different than a 50,000 BTU burner. I would advise to suck it up and cook outdoors with this equipment. THIS IS A BAD IDEA!
Before people write back and say, "If you take necessary precautions you'll be fine," just remember that many people that take those same precautions set fire to their house or die every year doing the same thing.
Calm down.

This isn't a turkey frying forum. Of course there are idiots who decide to heat up peanut oil in their garage at Thanksgiving then go take a nap. Last I checked though, boiling wort is not flammable.

Then there are the morons who store kerosene lanterns, oily rags and paint thinner in closed in areas that blow themselves up every year. Of course, these always seem to occur in the garage not the basement.

So what is it that makes a properly ventilated basement, devoid of any flammables any more dangerous than a garage with lawnmowers, gas cans, automobiles and oily rags?

And before you suggest that it’s “A BAD IDEA” to brew in the garage, you’d better look around. There are a bunch of brewers doing so.

For pete’s sake. We’re boiling a can of water here not mixing nitroglycerine.

For my part…I’ve no problem setting up my brew-shop in the basement. 30+ batches down there and less risk issues than I had when I was brewing in my garage.

[YOUTUBE]0eB2r29rekE[/YOUTUBE]

Thank you, Biermuncher. I couldn't have said it better. Good ventilation, enough fresh air, care in making connections, attention to detail and using propane in the basement is no more dangerous than brewing up on the kitchen stove.

Damn - If I had a fryer going indoors I would never have a beer. I'd be paranoid that I'd burn my place down. I even have 11' ceiling in my basement too.

I'd have to have a duct work for a fireplace before being comfortable doing in doors.

Ditto on the tricutts. Man I love the Black Pepper & Olive Oil flavor! $hit, I nearly eat three boxes a week.

My $hit is plug-flow to the max!!! :D

When I get a house with a basement not only am I going to brew in the basement but I'm going to BBQ in there too!!! I'm going to get some nice hoods with really kick ass fans and air INLETS to below my brewery and BBQ(Actually, it's a Traeger. Just a Lil Tex but it's a TRAEGER!!!)! I am currently removing pop corn celings and adding crown molding as well as riping up carpet and laying down laminate flooring. To do list includes minor kitchen refacing and minor bathroom stuff, THEN we sell this house and get one with a basement!!!!! I will have a bar, pool table, big screen tv, adam's family pinball, dedicated brewing space and a BBQ in my basement! I might even frame up some posters of chicks! Anything to keep the SWMBO out of the zero tolerance to anything flowery(other than hops!) man zone!!! HAHA!! Anybody think Tim Allen would approve?

Back