Propane burner Help Feedback Need

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbeachroach

Reaction score
Hello all. I recently bought a 20gallon ss brewpot.

I had a generic entry level buyou Classic burner

When I said the 20 gallon pot on the burner there is about a 2 inch ring all the way around the outside possibly 2 1/2 to 3 inch in which the burner does not cover.

Does this mean that in order to be efficient and not waste propane I need to buy a burner that actually fits the bottom of the pot?

No, the burner does not need to be the same size as the kettle. As long as the burner has the BTU output needed it should be fine. However, if the heat is concentrated in too small of an area you may get unwanted caramelization or scorching at the hot spot.

No, the burner does not need to be the same size as the kettle. As long as the burner has the BTU output needed it should be fine. However, if the heat is concentrated in too small of an area you may get unwanted caramelization or scorching at the hot spot.

How do I find the BTU needed for the 20 gallon pot?

fwiw, I use 20g kettles and run 10" bg14 burners on propane with a 0-10 psi regulator.
The manufacturer claims 75Kbtu in that configuration.
I do not believe after almost 15 years I've used much more than half of that. Ever.

btw, the stepped bottom on my 20g kettles is ~15" in diameter so there's a good couple of inches of "over-hang" outside the burner rim. I think you actually want that. Having a burner pattern all the way to the kettle edge is likely less efficient at most power settings as a lot of the heat will scoot right around the kettle bottom as wasted energy...

Cheers!

Last edited:
I think you'll be fine. Run a test boil with water if you like. I have an SP10 burner which has no trouble with a sixteen gallon kettle. I have a jury rigged wind screen from aluminum flashing which also helps contain heat.

Latest posts

Back