Propagating from a live bine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessox80

Reaction score
I'm hoping to expand from 2-4 plants and have already buried a section of two bines in some vey well-prepped soil. It's two days later and the leaves that I left exposed in those buried sections are in great shape, which seems like a good sign. Does anyone have any advice on helping to ensure that they root, or advice on caring for them? How long before I severe the bines?

jessox80 said:
I'm hoping to expand from 2-4 plants and have already buried a section of two bines in some vey well-prepped soil. It's two days later and the leaves that I left exposed in those buried sections are in great shape, which seems like a good sign. Does anyone have any advice on helping to ensure that they root, or advice on caring for them? How long before I severe the bines?

As far as severing the bines goes, wait until next spring.

I buried some of the side arms about a month ago. They are now rooted with quite a few roots. It can be separated next spring for sure.

I buried some of the side arms about a month ago. They are now rooted with quite a few roots. It can be separated next spring for sure.

Ugh! Why didn't I think of that? Burying runners is the easiest way to propagate any plant with runners - I get a ton of strawberries this way. Just didn't think of it with my hops.

FYI - I took some shoots last spring and put them in good soil with rooting hormone. After 2 weeks, I still didn't have any roots, and they started to dry up. Something went wrong there.

Each Bine I buried had a side-runner twined around it, so hopefully it will work out. Still green leaves where exposed : )

I have a couple of Goldens that I propagated from cuttings; rooting hormone worked like a charm for me, but my MIL, who could propagate from a wicker basket, gave me a tip. You have to tap off most of it. More than a very fine dusting of the rooting hormone will absorb water and solidify, a bit like clay. It'll choke and kill the cutting.

Latest posts

Back