Promash question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avanhemert

Reaction score
Do I add extra water to my mash tun to compensate for the false bottom? Seems when I add in the right amount of water I'm not getting total absorption because 5 quarts is sitting below the faulse bottom.

Thanks! I figured as much and am doing it right now. I didn't get to brew yesterday so I'm doing it tonight. Sweet Water IPA.

Aren't the grains fully submerged during the mash?

If so then it would seem that they would absorb the same amout regardless of how much water is sitting below them. I'm sure there's something I'm missing, but I can't figure it out. I also can't find in promash where that extra water is entered.

I added extra water to my mash but I don't see it in ProMAsh in the Mash Designer window. Last week when I used my new mash tun I noticed there wasn't enough water and wondered how much was sitting below the false bottom. Turned out to be 5 qts so that's what I started with. Total water added to mash is 3.5 gal for 8.75lbs grain. Seems better tonight. Pre-boil gravity is 1.050.

In promash go to the "water needed" icon. It will ask you how much will be left in lauter tun, kettle, hopback....yada yada. These amounts you have to figure out yourself by testing. Dump a known quantity of water in your lauter tun. Drain out via the false bottom and measure how much is left. Once you know these quantities and enter them in the program it will do the figuring for you... Right up until you change your equipment. Then you have to do it again.

I have had good luck with Promash. It's got more bells and whistles than I need.

Back