Process Question...Sorry for the Vague Name.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Col224

Reaction score
I'm not sure if The type of beer matters here, but I'm about to start my second brew(first one is in bottles and I can't wait to taste it) which is a New Castle Clone and I'm curious about what process I should use. I bought a "more advanced equipment kit" that came with a BB for a secondary, but as I didn't use it on my first batch, I was wondering about using it on my second.

I've heard the opinion varies on using a secondary, and I'm probably asking a question with conflicting answers, BUT my options are:

1. Using my Ale Pale for 3 weeks in Primary
  2. Using my Ale Pale for a week or 2 in Primary, then Rack Over to my Better Bottle
  3. Use my BB as a Primary and leave it in that for 3 weeks

The time frames are relative but those are tentative plans. Has anyone had any experience with these options, maybe more success with one or the other?

Also, I'm concerned about the Oxidation of the beer in the Ale Pale vs. the Better Bottle(because they are supposed to not allow any oxygen in)

Thanks for any input!

Try it both ways and then you will know. I do not use a secondary myself unless the beer will be lagered for many months. I think you will find you want to keep any beer in the primary at least 2 weeks so the yeast can clean up after themselves.

Racking unnecessarily causes more oxidation than any fermenter could, I would worry about racking less.

Since I stopped using a secondary, my beer quality has improved a ton. Bottling buckets for the win.

Racking unnecessarily causes more oxidation than any fermenter could, I would worry about racking less.

Since I stopped using a secondary, my beer quality has improved a ton. Bottling buckets for the win.

Racking doesn't have to cause oxidation if you are careful. Eliminating bad technique from the process will improve your beer but not necessarily everyone elses.

OP: as far as oxygen permeability of the BB vs the pail, no worries with the time-frame that you are talking about. 3-4 weeks is too short for it to be a factor.

Great beer can be produced with any of your three options so the choice is yours.....

This is the age old question and everybody has a different opinion. With correct technique all three are just fine.

I suppose if you want to be lazy and don't really care about making good beer racking COULD cause a problem with over abundant splashing and so forth. But I have to thnk that most of us are "into" being careful.

PERSONALLY - I do #2. Glass carboy 2 weeks, secondary 1 week and bottle carb for 3 weeks (more with the house temp a 66 now)

Thanks everyone.

As far as racking goes, keeping both ends of the hose under liquid the entire time and minimizing splashing is good racking technique right?

are there other factors I'm missing there?

As far as racking goes, keeping both ends of the hose under liquid the entire time and minimizing splashing is good racking technique right?

Bingo.

same with bottling - when you siphon into the bottling bucket try to make the hose lay on the bottom so the beer will twirl around in a circle - this will aid in mixing the corn sugar.

Latest posts

Back