Process/Beer Improvements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jyda

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have found that there are things, processes, or knowledge that markedly improve my process or beer and was wondering if others could share what helped them make that improvement leap.

Here are my top 3:

Wort Chiller: made a huge impact on the ease/duration of my brew day

Fermentation Temp Control: Mini fridge with a temp controller, huge result in beer flavor / quality.

Yeast Starters: massively reduced the "lag time" related questions and dramatically impacted beer flavor / quality

The yeast starter/re-hydration was the single biggest improvement to me so far. Cutting those lag times is always a good thing. And hop additions to extract recipes seem to fit well too. And it goes without saying,hitting your target temp for pitching is real good for cleaner beers.

I would add sanitation to one of the big things. Owning a mill helps with consistency and expense. Letting the beer age on the yeast really helps to clear the beer up as well.

+1 for your first 2 items, I'm not sure about the yeast starter, how much that can improve flavor/quality. Unless a big beer, proper oxigenation and pich rate works fine without a starter, in my view.
Adjusting water would also be something to do to improve quality.

1. Fermentation temp control. If you pitch proper amounts and oxygenate well, but treat the yeast like crap, the beer will be crap. In my mind, the most important aspect of brewing.
Grain mills, IC's, starters are all good things that either make the day go faster, save money, or reduce lag time, but they dont have the biggest impact on beer flavor like fermenation temp control does. Any newb's reading this and wanting to make an upgrade somewhere? Go find a fridge and wire yourself a temp controller. I (and almost everyone else) wishes we did it waaay sooner than we did

Well,the yeast I got with the LME was dry pitched the 1st time,took 3-4 days to get going,albeit slowly. I made a starter this time,BANG! it started in a few hours,rather than a few days,which makes for cleaner tasting beer. Even just re-hydrating is said to be really good as well. And I used spring water from here in Ohio this time as well. That's supposed to be better for the beer/yeast,as I've read.

Well,the yeast I got with the LME was dry pitched the 1st time,took 3-4 days to get going,albeit slowly. I made a starter this time,BANG! it started in a few hours,rather than a few days,which makes for cleaner tasting beer. Even just re-hydrating is said to be really good as well. And I used spring water from here in Ohio this time as well. That's supposed to be better for the beer/yeast,as I've read.

I'm on my third batch, I've rehydrate the yeast according to package and aerated by pouring and using a strainer as well as shake the hell outta my carboy. I get bubbles and some light foaming at around 12 hours, and krausen and steady bubbles at around 24 hours, usually last for another 2 or so days, drops to bottom and bubbles slow.

At 20 to 30 minutes in 2 cups of 90 degree water you can see a lot of progress in the yeast before putting them in the wort.

I am surprised so many people forgo rehyrdating and how many places (kits, books, people) say it works just as well.

I'm on my third batch, I've rehydrate the yeast according to package and aerated by pouring and using a strainer as well as shake the hell outta my carboy. I get bubbles and some light foaming at around 12 hours, and krausen and steady bubbles at around 24 hours, usually last for another 2 or so days, drops to bottom and bubbles slow.

At 20 to 30 minutes in 2 cups of 90 degree water you can see a lot of progress in the yeast before putting them in the wort.

I am surprised so many people forgo rehyrdating and how many places (kits, books, people) say it works just as well.

I made a starter,& had foam up to the lid sometime before dawn the next morning. I'd pitched the starter at 7:35pm,Woke up & checked it at 7:10am,& saw what was described. Next time,I think I'm going to just re-hydrate it,just to see if there's any differences to notice. But I agree,there's lots of philosophical arguments back & forth with all this book info vs current experience.

Yeast health is a package deal. Pretty much any beer you make you want an adequate starter, pure oxygen, nutrients, and temperature control. Sure you can make a beer by neglecting some or all of these things, most every homebrewer starts out neglecting these things and still turns out respecetable beer. However, by minding all these things the beer will be a better and more consistent product.

Back