Problems with Wyeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haydn-Juby

Reaction score
So Recently I brewed up an American Honey Wheat and threw som Wyeast American Wheat yeast on it. The packet never expanded after roughly 4-5 hours after I burst the packet inside. I still used it and am worried that perhaps it won't ferment properly. What do you think will happen ? I'm also seeing no signs of fermentation after 5-6hrs of pitching , although this could be normal I understand.

Thanks !

:mug::mug:

Just be patient. You probably under pinched the yeast, most homebrew stores suggest only one packet but you should do a starter. Look at mrmalty.com to see how much to pinch.

The airlock doesn't mean fermentation hasn't started and it could be going.

Look for it to form a krausen and just relax and have a homebrew.

Look at the date if its under 6 months should be fine....if over might be cause for concern

I'm also seeing no signs of fermentation after 5-6hrs of pitching , although this could be normal I understand.

Give it a good three days before you start to fret over it. Right now, simply leave it alone and don't mess with the lid/stopper.

It varies from batch to batch, but I normally see the most visible indicator of CO2 production (bubbles in the airlock) anywhere from 6 to 18 hours.

Be aware that some batches will ferment successfully w/o any bubbles in the airlock (due to tiny leaks, etc.). The only way to know for sure is taking a hydrometer reading and comparing it to the OG.

Are you sure you broke the nutrient packet inside? Slippery lil buggers I have trouble with. or two or three folded over eachother inside the pouch. Tough to keep them still to break'em. Broke the pinhole plug they fill the pouches with once. What I thought was spilled coffee on the floor was my WY3056!

Are you sure you broke the nutrient packet inside? Slippery lil buggers I have trouble with. or two or three folded over eachother inside the pouch. Tough to keep them still to break'em. Broke the pinhole plug they fill the pouches with once. What I thought was spilled coffee on the floor was my WY3056!

I'm sure I broke the packet. It was shipped to me in very very hot weather and then preceded to sit in the fridge for 2 months so I'm guessing its probably not as potent as is should be.

Anyways I just pitched a pack of Hefe yeast , which is substantially different I know, and caught it krausening about a few hours ago (4-6 hours since pitching).

Will me adding this new yeast cause something bad? I'm guessing it should be find.

Back