Problems with secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate Roleff

Reaction score
Hey everyone how’s it going. I’m newer to brewing and I’m on my third batch and I decided to make apricot red ale. I racked to the secondary after the primary died down and then poured in 2 cans of apricot purée. The guy I buy my materials from said I should expect a second round of fermentation form the apricot but I haven’t gotten any bubbles from the air lock and I’m wondering if I might need to add anything or do something.
Any advise will help

If there is any sugar in the apricot puree (and there is!), the yeast will eventually find it. You can't hide it. How long has it been sitting there since you added the apricot? You may not see activity for a couple of days.

If it's in a bucket with a lid, the lid seal often leaks slightly, precluding airlock activity - but trust that it's fermenting. If it's in a carboy with a good seal, then just be patient.

Basically, it's nearly impossible for the secondary ferm to not happen. Don't add anything or introduce any oxygen by shaking, stirring, etc.

Got it. Ok right on thanks yeah I put it in secondary three days ago and I just haven’t seen any activity yet. Would you maybe have a recommendation for how long I should leave it?

What type of fermenter are you using. As noted, with buckets, the lids can leak and you may not see any airlock activity

I’m using a glass car boy and the air lock is on tight. It’s been pretty cold Latly and I’m wondering if it got too cold maybe? The purée just sits on the bottom separated

When I look at the temp strip it’s never below 64. I used 2 packets of giga British ale. Not sure if that’s right lol

I guess my real question now is if doesn’t bubble anymore how long do I leave in there before I bottle?

I would not do anything with the beer until at least one week since you incorporated the apricot.

In addition to fermentation, you are blending the apricot flavor into the product. No point in rushing that. In fact I would probably wait 10-14 days. It would behoove you to increase the temp a little if you can, up to 68-70, to see if it induces more activity. The last thing you want is a slow fermentation that you can't see which causes over-carbonation in the bottle because you rushed it out of secondary.

Another thing to check is the apricot puree ingredients. See if there are any preservatives in it - potassium sorbate for example. Yeast don't like that.

Back