Problems with Mesquite Smoked Chili Dog Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cipper

Reaction score
Problems with Mesquite Smoked chili Dog Lager

I like spicy chili dogs with a crisp bitter lager, and
maybe a little lime spritzed on top, and grilling the
hot dogs over mesquite wood. So I thought why not combine
all the flavors in a beer? Here is my recipe and
process:

7lbs Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner
2lbs " Munich malt

.5 oz 10%aa Northern Brewer hops 60 min
.5 oz 5%aa Hersbrucker 10 min
.5 oz 5%aa Hersbrucker 1 min

4 chunks of mesquite wood 3" by 1"

1 Fenway Frank
2 oz grated cheese (mexi mix)
1 cup homemade chili (jalepeno pepper, beef, beans, tomatoes, onion, garlic
but unsalted).
Juice of 2 limes
(didn't think I'd need to put in a roll, there's already plenty
of grain in there ha ha)

Wyeast 2278 Czech Pils
Distilled water, a little CaCl to help acidify the mash

Made a 2L starter starting about 4 days before brew day.
I put lighter fluid on the mesquite and let them burn
for about 10 min, then put them in the mash.
Mashed at 120 30 min then ~153 for an hour.

I did a normal boil of ~5.5 gal, hopped as above, cooled
to 50 with my immersion chiller followed by putting the
carboy in an ice bath. While the boil was going, I pureed
the food ingredients and warmed them to 160 to pasteurize,
then cooled with lid on and put them into the wort after
cooling but before pitching.

I was worried that there might be some preservatives in the
food that might inhibit the yeast but it seemed to go fine.
Maybe all that protein was good yeast food!
Two weeks in primary at 48-50, then 2 days at about 72, then
bottled, 1 week at 60, then 3 weeks at 30-31 in my temp
controlled deep freeze.

Everything looked normal except of course the color, and also the
massive amount of gross looking crap that settled in the
carboy - yeast plus food I guess.

The only problem is - it tastes like s---. I mean, it tastes
like Hersbrucker hops mixed with a slightly sweet, cheesey,
lime-ish feces taste, just enough to make you gag. I know it's
still beer and I shouldn't toss it down the sink, but I'm going
to let it age cold for another month and then if it doesn't
improve, I'm tossing it.

Any suggestions for getting those flavors in a beer reliably?
I didn't malt my own barley this time, but I don't think that's it,
My water is distilled, the yeast I've used before with no
problem. Maybe try an ale recipe/yeast?

Chris

The only suggestion I can think of is, when adding the "flavouring" maybe add it in the secondary, I think fermenting all of that would disrupt the "beer" flavours, because what you are looking for is a "flavoured" beer.

But, it definitly takes balls to make a brew like that!!

Dude, you brewed a beer with hot dogs and chili in the wort? Why not just make a nice beer and eat the chili dog?

Brewers are weird...

WTF??????

Seriously. WTF????

You can't just through food in wort and think you're going to make beer that tastes like food. You're going to get something that tastes like **** -- as you discovered.

I'd wager to say that beer will always taste like ass, no matter how much you age it. That's an awesome experiment, though - more power to you. Just take this as a learning experience. You don't see many chili dog beers on the market for a reason.

You're kidding right? If you think you're being original with threads like this, search for bacon beer, or porkfewien. And you'll find that posters have been doing silly thread like this since the web was but a stain in Al Gore's underwear. :D

And if not, then you are one sick puppy.

I can't think of anything that could save this beast, sorry.

Next time, go pick up some coneys and eat them with homebrew...don't try brewing with them. :mug:

I've had bad luck with the few "concept" beers I've brewed, but those at least sounded good (like a oatmeal cookie brown ale with toasted oats, vanilla, brown sugar, raisins, cinnamon, and toasted walnuts).

IF I was going to do something along the lines of a chili dog beer, I’d take the component flavors and add them. Hot dogs are primarily flavored with coriander so I’d do that and keep the meat/fat out (which goes rancid). I’d add chili peppers for heat, and I’d smoke some of the malt over the mesquite (I’d skip the lighter fluid and use the heat of a grill to do the smoking). Zest is the best way to get citrus aromatics. I’d skip the aroma hops and cheese, you’ve got more than enough going on already.

I won’t guarantee that the beer still wouldn’t be kind of weird, but I’d actually try a sip.

IF I was going to do something along the lines of a chili dog beer, I’d take the component flavors and add them. Hot dogs are primarily flavored with coriander so I’d do that and keep the meat/fat out (which goes rancid). I’d add chili peppers for heat, and I’d smoke some of the malt over the mesquite (I’d skip the lighter fluid and use the heat of a grill to do the smoking). Zest is the best way to get citrus aromatics. I’d skip the aroma hops and cheese, you’ve got more than enough going on already.

I agree. pierre celis white is very corriander like, and is very reminiscent of a hotdog with really good mustard on it, bun and all. People also get "hot dog" from other wheat beers as well. Also some folks have said that using peat smoked malt (as opposed to rausch malt) in the right amount also gives it a sort of meaty hot doggy sensation.

Yeah, I would definitely avoid putting actual meat in a beer. I don't think there's any way you could really keep the meat from spoiling during the process. In fact, this is one time I think I would actually suggest dumping the beer out for fear it might make you seriously ill. Cheese also seems iffy at best.

Hehe, I like how he left the roll out, being unnecessary with all the grain :D

Hot dog at ale temperatures for 14+ days sound yummmy! :drunk:

Yeah, I would definitely avoid putting actual meat in a beer. I don't think there's any way you could really keep the meat from spoiling during the process. In fact, this is one time I think I would actually suggest dumping the beer out for fear it might make you seriously ill. Cheese also seems iffy at best.

Well, I assumed the alcohol would kill any bugs, but I guess it
doesn't prevent rotting. I didn't get sick when I drank it, anyway.

Chris

The only problem is - it tastes like s---. I mean, it tastes like Hersbrucker hops mixed with a slightly sweet, cheesey, lime-ish feces taste, just enough to make you gag. I know it's still beer and I shouldn't toss it down the sink, but I'm going to let it age cold for another month and then if it doesn't improve, I'm tossing it.

I hope your drains are clear in a month. They are going to accept a whole lot of beer all at once.

ROFL

This is unbelievable. Throw a turkey sandwich in there next time while you're at it. :D

this_thread_is_worthless_without_pi.gif

you know, if it would have turned out really good, you all would be eating your words (drinking your words?)

is a chili dog beer fundamentally different than bacon beer?

you know, if it would have turned out really good, you all would be eating your words (drinking your words?)

is a chili dog beer fundamentally different than bacon beer?

I don't doubt a chili dog beer could work somehow, but the process he used was not the brightest.

Back