problems with fermentation/yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPCVBrewer

Reaction score
Hi! Just joined this site as I am need of quick help! Am making an old ale, partial grain, and after fermenting for over a week, starting mid-Oct., my finishing gravity ended up at a very high 1.030 (down from an original of 1.078). I sloshed it around while transferring to the secondary fermenter and after 2 weeks in the bucket, it was still up there at 1.028.
I then went to our local brewing supply store and was advised that the alcohol content of the beer might be too high for the the danstar yeast i used (either windsor or nottingham, and yes, i know I should write these things down but I didn't!) Anyway i was advised to use 1/2 tsp of lalvin winemaking yeast 71B-1122.
I added that two days ago after aerating my 5 gallons into yet another bucket, proofing the yeast as suggested on the label. It has been sitting for two days and so far nothing has happened (just checked the gravity yet again and no progress) and I'm getting worried about contamination with all these transfers and no fermentation going on!
I am keeping it in the main room of the house and I'm in NC so cold temp shouldn't be a problem. I have been brewing for 12 years and have never had this problem before (but i also haven't done such a high alcohol beer either.) The batch is pretty tasty, but still too sweet for my liking so i'd like to get it down more. I also worry that if I bottled it now it wouldn't carbonate.

do I
-add more lalvin
-try a different yeast
-and/or add Crosby and Baker yeast energizer or amylase enzyme etc etc?

And what to do when it is time to add priming sugar and bottle?

Thanks for any advice you have to offer

RPCVBrewer said:
Hi! Just joined this site as I am need of quick help! Am making an old ale, partial grain, and after fermenting for over a week, starting mid-Oct., my finishing gravity ended up at a very high 1.030 (down from an original of 1.078). I sloshed it around while transferring to the secondary fermenter and after 2 weeks in the bucket, it was still up there at 1.028.
I then went to our local brewing supply store and was advised that the alcohol content of the beer might be too high for the the danstar yeast i used (either windsor or nottingham, and yes, i know I should write these things down but I didn't!) Anyway i was advised to use 1/2 tsp of lalvin winemaking yeast 71B-1122.
I added that two days ago after aerating my 5 gallons into yet another bucket, proofing the yeast as suggested on the label. It has been sitting for two days and so far nothing has happened (just checked the gravity yet again and no progress) and I'm getting worried about contamination with all these transfers and no fermentation going on!
I am keeping it in the main room of the house and I'm in NC so cold temp shouldn't be a problem. I have been brewing for 12 years and have never had this problem before (but i also haven't done such a high alcohol beer either.) The batch is pretty tasty, but still too sweet for my liking so i'd like to get it down more. I also worry that if I bottled it now it wouldn't carbonate.

do I
-add more lalvin
-try a different yeast
-and/or add Crosby and Baker yeast energizer or amylase enzyme etc etc?

And what to do when it is time to add priming sugar and bottle?

Thanks for any advice you have to offer

Sorry, but you’re above my pay-grade but I do have a question that could help me out....seeing you have some experience with a climate similar to mine.....

I'm on my first brew and I’ve really been concerned about fermentation of my brew so I think:

"Rule No. 1" Keep your mitts off the bucket

But I’m still paranoid because this is my first go around and I made one really monumental mistake and that was to let the wort cool down naturally. I wouldn't have if I had realized how long it took to do so....it was ridiculous.....

The good news is that I'm doing just your basic, basic ale but my question is I’m kind of scared about screwing it up because I live in Michigan (similar weather I believe) and at this time of the year I keep our house cold.....right now its about 52 in here and it could drop to as low as 45. Pretty much the weather dictates how warm or cold this house is going to be....

I know from both accounts that I’m not going to screw the wort up.....I know with the neglect of cooling quick enough that I ran the real risk of bacteria and that might be an irritant. Also I know that cold won't hurt the fermenting process but hinder it.......but I've never had anyone address the question, what is ideal temperature and conditions for fermentation?

I know most people skip this because they aren't too cheap to pay their gas bill.....believe me......my wife reminds me every day the house dips below 60 degrees.....

:off:

Seems you should be down around 1.020
I'm not sure what happened with your beer, either of the danstar yeasts should have gone quite a bit lower than you got. I think that Windsor will typically leave more sugars/body but should still get pretty close. I don't think that either should crap out at 6.5% ABV.

The only things that come to mind initially are either too cold (not likely but...) or is it possible that you mashed too hot and got a lot of unfermentable starches? If so, you could always add some Beano but that might get you down to too dry a beer as I think it's pretty efficient at breaking down complex carbs.

If you are lower than 70 degrees you might try to bring the temp up to 74 or so and see if that kicks the fermentation off.

If that doesn't do it then re-pitch with Danstar again

If that doesn't do it decide if you want to leave it as is or add Beano and risk the beer getting too dry/thin.

Good luck.

Be sure to post your steps/results!

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions! Temp shouldn't be an issue here in Durham cause we've been having unseasonably warm temps for the most part and we have a wood stove on colder days. However, I do agree that I probably over-aerated in racking back and forth. Will try repitching and see what happens. So far it still tastes good, if flat and sweet! And yes, I could have mashed too hot, as I got a call from our vet about our cat who was seriously ill while I was making up the batch and was understandably distracted from the task at hand.
To address beerslinger's question, yes, ale likes temps much warmer than you've got it, if your house is 52 degrees. Would you consider a space heater in a small room to keep your beer warmer, if not yourselves? Either that or brew lagers or brew in the summer! At our house we don't have AC, so I only brew fall-spring as I can't stand the heat! Will let you all know how it turns out. Thanks for the help!

RPCVBrewer said:
Thanks for all your comments and suggestions! Temp shouldn't be an issue here in Durham cause we've been having unseasonably warm temps for the most part and we have a wood stove on colder days. However, I do agree that I probably over-aerated in racking back and forth. Will try repitching and see what happens. So far it still tastes good, if flat and sweet! And yes, I could have mashed too hot, as I got a call from our vet about our cat who was seriously ill while I was making up the batch and was understandably distracted from the task at hand.
To address beerslinger's question, yes, ale likes temps much warmer than you've got it, if your house is 52 degrees. Would you consider a space heater in a small room to keep your beer warmer, if not yourselves? Either that or brew lagers or brew in the summer! At our house we don't have AC, so I only brew fall-spring as I can't stand the heat! Will let you all know how it turns out. Thanks for the help!

Thank you, I tried to ask this question early on so that I wasn't banging my head later on.......I'll pull it up to 68 and then see where it goes once I put it directly next to a heat source.......This house is old and the windows show it so the furnace kicks in quite a bit.......

But i'm glad I got this one out there because I only threw the yeast in less then 24 hours ago.....and i'm glad I asked because nothing happened over night.....and I read other threads where ale was quite fast acting......

Back