Problems with a Brewhouse Hack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattfdc

Reaction score
So I decided to rekindle my homebrew hobby, and do up a pumpkin stout for a Halloween party. I've had great success in the past with the Brewhouse kit hacks, so I figured I would do an Irish Stout from the Munich Lager kit.

- Munich lager kit
- 12 oz roast barley
- 8oz flaked barley
- 1 oz Noerthern brewer hops
- Wyeast 1084
- pumpkin puree
- spices&cinnamon sticks

Anyway, I boiled up the barley, pumpkin, spices, added hops, boiled an additional 20 minutes, and crash cooled. Added yeast, kit ingredients (less the coopers yeast).

It was at this point I dropped my hydrometer and smashed it. No problem I thought, take a SG reading 7 days in wen I got a new one and see where we are. Set my primary in a room at 22°C, and away I went.

Bought a new hydrometer today, and I am getting a reading of 1.12.....which seems REALLY high to me.

Can anyone give me some insight here? I sampled the beer and it seems hoppy (normal) but not off.

Has my pumpkin addition done something? Or is this normal? Did I not pitch the Wyeast properly (they recommend 3 hours after breaking the inside bladder, I only left it an hour). Any other beer I have done is in the 1.04 range after a week or two, so now I'm concerned my ABV is way too low.

Please help!

Is there a Krausen ring around the inside of your primary vessel? Did you calibrate your hydrometer with water, and are reading it right?

Are you sure it is not 1.012. That would make more sense after a week.

The that stuck out to me was this...

Anyway, I boiled up the barley, pumpkin, spices, added hops, boiled an additional 20 minutes,

I hope you did not boil the barley and only steeped it before the boil.

There was a Krausen for about 3 or 4 days, but definitely not as big as I was expecting after reading results on the net from others that did this recipe.

Yes, I calibrated it in water and I just checked. Rookie mistake, it's 1.012. Obviously it's been a while since I've done this :drunk:

And you now what, I did boil it. I just re-read my instructions and it called for 170°F for 20 minutes, remove grain bag, add hops and boil 20 minutes. I boiled the whole dang thing for 20.

So is it a lost cause? I sampled it and it's bitter, but I was expecting that from the hops.

Latest posts

Back