Problems fermenting cran-raspberry juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pendragon524

Reaction score
Two days ago, I started fermenting Oceanspray cran-raspberry juice. It's basically the greatest juice on the planet, so I was understandably eager to turn it into wine.

On the first day of fermentation, there was no movement in the airlock. A day later, I added more yeast to the must and from then on have had a slow, gradual bubbling in the airlock. But the gas production was (and is) nothing compared to the pineapple juice I have fermenting, so I'm worried that I've gone wrong somewhere. Aside from the assorted concentrated juices (apple, cranberry, raspberry, and grape), the juice's ingredients are natural flavor, fumaric acid, citric acid, sodium citrate, ascorbic acid, and vegetable concentration for color. My brief research did not turn up anything of worry about these ingredients, but let me know if I have missed something. I added a packet (in total) of Red Star Premier Rouge yeast (which has an alcohol tolerance of abt. 15%), and the original gravity came out to 1.120, so the sugar level is not high enough to inhibit fermentation (the pineapple juice also has an OG of 1.120, and has no problem fermenting). Maybe I didn't oxygenate the must enough at the outset?

As for as I can tell, I have done nothing wrong, but the fermenting is just going so slowly that I'm not sure. Any advice or help would be much appreciated.

Most likely the cranberry juice is making it too acidic, increase the volume with some water to dilute acids or add a little potassium Carbonate (1/4 teaspoon per gallon)

I will try that! For a one-gallon jug of juice, how much water should I add to dilute it properly (and conversely, how much must should I pour out if I need to make room for it)?

If it’s a mixed juice, I’d start with pouring out about a quart, save it in another airlocked bottle or in the fridge.
Or... take out some of the juice, dilute that 1:1 with water, pitch yeast to that to make a starter, then step feed the must into it after a day of yeast growth.

I just fermented the very same juice but using yellow star (champagne) yeast and adding frozen mashed bananas (I always use bananas in every batch of wine) and it bubbled off the charts immediately. Are you keeping yeast in the fridge?

I just fermented the very same juice but using yellow star (champagne) yeast and adding frozen mashed bananas (I always use bananas in every batch of wine) and it bubbled off the charts immediately. Are you keeping yeast in the fridge?

I have not been refrigerating the yeast. Would that account for our stark differences in fermentation? Also, do you think the frozen bananas could be the reason for your juice fermenting better?

I do this mix regularly. I dilute it by half. Half gallon juice, half gallon water. Comes out perfect every time. I also do cran BlackBerry and cran pomegranate. Any cranberry needs to be diluted.

I do this mix regularly. I dilute it by half. Half gallon juice, half gallon water. Comes out perfect every time. I also do cran BlackBerry and cran pomegranate. Any cranberry needs to be diluted.
My 1st time, I want to use the cran blackberry. My friend makes mead all the time, gave me a 3gal bucket, 1gal glass bottle, an airlock and some yeast. I am wanting a recipe to start my exploration. Lower ABV and sweeter is my liking.

Back