problems bottling with dextrose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbenet

Reaction score
I recently decided to try bottling with dextrose; I read that it gives a cleaner profile than DME and is easy for the yeast to metabolize. I used 1/2 cup for my first batch which was a 1.080 OG belgian and it never really carbed up enough. I eventually emptied the bottles into a keg and force carbed it with mediocre results. I read that weight is a much more accurate measurement for priming sugar and bought a scale for batch #2 which was a 1.065 OG BIPA. This batch didn't carb well either, but eventually after a couple months the remaining bottles (I drank it anyway 'cause it was so good) had about 3/4 the desired carbonation. The beer sat in secondary for over 6 weeks and I thought it possible that the yeast were too tired to metabolize the dextrose. So batch#3 I decided to re-yeast at bottling. This was a 1.090 OG oaked belgian that fermented for 10 weeks. I bottled with 230 grams of dextrose and a proofed package of champagne yeast. I wanted to eliminate any chance of carbing issues but now, 6 weeks after bottling there is still barely any sign of carbonation. The bottles got a little cold a couple nights, but they were kept in boxes covered in blankets in a closet and mostly hung in the 60-70F range. Has anyone ever had any problems using dextrose to prime with? I'm I just being impatient? Or is it possible I got a bad bag of dextrose? Perhaps there is something wrong with my bench capper and I'm losing a little pressure? I'm frustrated and out of ideas. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

What size are your batches and what was FG when you bottled? I've carbed some big beers with dextrose with no problems - nothing over 1.090 but a few in the 1.08X range. I've never re-yeasted at bottling either.

I guess it's possible you got something other than dextrose like maltodextrin or something else that's unfermentable.

I would also try laying a case on its side for a few days to rouse the yeast. 60 to 70° should be fine.

Hmm, this makes me nervous. Im bottling my Big Belgian tonight. It topped out at 1.081. Beersmith calls for about 4.25 ounces dextrose. I have 7.5 weeks for the babies to carb.

You are being impatient. Yeast are sluggish and work slowly in higher ABV environments, so carbing and conditioning just take longer.

These 1.08 OG and 1.09 OG brew should be taking something on the order of 2-4 MONTHS to carb and condition. Some have reported even 5-6 months for Belgian Quads in the 1.09-1.10 OG area. If you are going to continue brewing these high OG/ABV brews, you are jsut going to have to be patient with them.

Otherwise, get a kegging setup and force carb!!!

thanks for the input. You're probably correct and I'm just being impatient. The bottles have been put in the cellar now, and I plan on waiting another 2 months before trying it again (out of sight, out of mind). I'll let you know as soon as I crack into one again.

Back