Problematic Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaeltrego

Reaction score
Looking for advice on a problematic Saison. Brewed it 4 days ago (mashed at 148F) and it had mild activity in the first 2 days, but then slowed to a trickle of activity. OG was 1.056 and pitched 2 packs of WY3724 (3 months old) at 68F. After 2 days of slow activity, I roused it and raised it to 70F. No improvement in activity over the next day. Pitched a pack of Belle Saison to see if the older liquid yeast was the issue, but not much improvement over the next day. Checked the gravity and it is at 1.040. Raised it to 80F and will check it again tomorrow.

This is not my first Saison with this yeast, any ideas on how to help this finish? Enzymes?

I suspect you may be running that strain too cool for it to finish.

If you look around the interwebs for information on wy3724 you might be surprised to see how warm many folks run it (up to 90°F! woof!) to get the yeast to work the FG down into the single digits. Wyeast shows the working range from 70-95°F.

Also, it's an STA1+ strain, and given time that's an FG-dropping characteristic...

Cheers!

Also that yeast is notorious for stalling around 1.035. From their website:
This strain is notorious for a rapid and vigorous start to fermentation, only to stick around 1.035 S.G. Fermentation will finish, given time and warm temperatures. Warm fermentation temperatures, at least 90 °F (32 °C), or the use of a secondary strain can accelerate attenuation.

Keep the temp ramped and give it a few weeks.

OK, I'm going to crank it up! The reason I started at that temp was due to another batch that I brewed the same day, which was in the same ferm chamber and I didn't want it to get too hot. That other batch is pretty much done, so I'll move that one out of the ferm chamber and get the Saison cooking.

I'll echo what has been said already: WY3724 likes to play games. Heat that MF up! (Typed while doing my best Samuel L Jackson stare) I used to take my Saisons up to 90F but I let it freerise to about ~75F now and hold it there.

FWIW I don't think you can beat WY3726. By far my favorite (non-bugged up) Saison strain. Maybe even count it as a blessing and throw in some Brett/lacto/pedio? If you can get your hands on a packet of The Mad Fermentationist Saison strain pick a couple up. It makes a fantastic Saison along the lines of Apex Predator by Off Color or Bam Biere by Jolly Pumpkin. Seriously good strain.. Cheers!

Haven't tried 3726 - thanks for the tip. Got to keep this batch clean for the intended audience over the holidays. I do love JP dregs for my funky stuff - it's a beast and so flavorful!

I love 3724 but 3726 has just as much character and finishes in a few days without issues. I think 3724 is worth it though. Bottling a spelt saison tomorrow with 3726. Maybe the best way is to brew a double batch, do the 3726 first and while you wait a few weeks for the 3724 to finish at least you can be drinking the 3726 saison haha

Even when treating them right (proper temp, good pitch rates, etc.) it's pretty common for Belgian strains to sprint towards the finish line and make it 90% of the way almost immediately, then take 5x as long to finish the remaining 10% of fermentation. Treat it right and be patient.

Back