Problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ness22

Reaction score
I am brewing a Hefeweizen and added the DME and the second half of my LME 15 min into the boil and the recipe called for adding them 15 min from the end of the boil. Anybody know what kind of effects this will have?

Nothing major. Wouldn't lose sleep over it. Might make it a little darker. Also a small risk of carmelization by doing it early, but also, wouldn't worry too much.

The DME/LME are already boiled so it's more for sterilization and hop utlization that they are even boiled.

If it should caramelize what should I do?

I'm a noob myself, but I believe your next step should be RDWAHAHB. If it caramelizes, it caramelizes....its done and over with and nothing can really change it now.

No such thing as an imperfect beer, well, besides it getting infected. A beer that doesnt turn out the way you want is a learning experience, not a failure.

Brew on :rockin:

To quote Charlie; relax don't worry have a homebrew(RDWHAHB). You have made beer!
Cheers,
Jim

If it should caramelize what should I do?

You don't do anything. It just means your beer would be a little darker and a little sweeter (FG a little higher) than anticipated.

Happened during my first brew last month, tastes fine.

Yea looks a little darker than I was expecting, but it is my first homebrew so im not going to be too judgmental about it! Thanks for the reassurance! Cheers!

If you followed the exact same hopping schedule, your beer will likely be a little bit less bitter due to lower utilization rates. But for a hef, I doubt it would be enough of a difference to notice. If you were brewing something more hop forward, then it might be a little more of an issue.

Latest posts

Back