problem...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strider

Reaction score
Hey all,
well, I have a problem with my ginger beer. I just pitched the trappist yeast today at around 3. I would have expected to see some air lock bubbles by now. Nuthing. I'm gettin worried. Any ideas?
-John

How many times do we have to repeat - make a starter? :confused: Just wait until tomorrow like the last post recommended.

When you make a starter a day or two before brew day you'll know the yeast is viable. Then you can brew and pitch when the temp is low enough. :D

i'll check again in the morning. If no go then i'll head out to lhbs and get another packet and a jug to make a starter with.... hehe... and probably more ingrediants knowing me. Lacking the container for a starter right now. However, it was a 'activator' pack, and it did swell up. Some... not a lot. Not a ballon, but seemed to have more gas in it, in the 3 hours I gave it. I'm a bit worried cause i have read either here or on another board about ppl who had ferment problems with ginger. It's used in a few recipies i've read so i figure it gotta work, but did run across a statement about it. We'll c.
thanks all
-John

Sorry to hear about your loss.

As you can see this is the prime example of why you should make a starter with your yeast regardless of the form it comes in including the smak paks.

I hope others learn from your mistake.

It's better to make a starter first then pitch it into wort then the other way around...

Better luck next time.

If you're using a bucket, then peek before you go get more yeast. I never saw one bubble in my first batch...after twenty four hours I couldn't stand it anymore and took the lid off and looked. The krauzen had already come and mostly gone, just leaving a thick ring around the side and a little foam in the middle. Sometimes those buckets just don't hold air all that well.

Ya, I am using a bucket, and I did peek. didn't seen any activity. I just got back from the supply. Women there said i might still see it start up by tonight. If not, to pick up a packet of yeast incase. So I got some more yeast. And I got a jug to make a starter in. And got some ingrediants for a English bitter... lol... I knew I would. I'll make the starter tonight.

strider said:
I'll make the starter tonight.
It sure takes all the worry out of it. :cool: I pitched my starter yesterday afternoon late, and this morning the airlock is bubbling away. :)

strider said:
Ya, I am using a bucket, and I did peek. didn't seen any activity. I just got back from the supply. Women there said i might still see it start up by tonight. If not, to pick up a packet of yeast incase. So I got some more yeast. And I got a jug to make a starter in. And got some ingrediants for a English bitter... lol... I knew I would. I'll make the starter tonight.
Just for grins and giggles...

Wyeast smack packs can take anywhere from 1 to 72 hours for lag time before the signs of active fermentation start showing. I know, I know, longer lag times can (but don't have) to be bad, but that's life with a smack pack. Don't give up on it just yet.

welk, I got the starter made. it's starting now. Even if the ferment does wind up starting by the time its done, i'll pitch it anyways to speed things up. lol.

starter.jpg

and here is a pic of the wort in the brewpot

wort.jpg

HAH! Update. I just pitched the starter and threw in some energizer and nutrients with it. When I popped the lid... low and behold.... a big thick layer of foam:) It started on it's own. I pitched the stuff anyways, but skipped airation.

hehe... and now as i sit her typing and looking at the bucket, the airlock has all of a sudden gone crazy. Kinda strange. wasn't the move. As wasn't doing that before I popped hte lid to throw the stuff. I woudln't think the extra yeast and nutrients would work that quick. Maybe tossing the nutrients and yeast into it, stirred it up more then the move and released some pent up co2. interesting.

homebrewer_99 said:
Too bad you pitched the second yeast...you could have brewed another batch and used it there. :(

Nah, I'm happy with pitching it. I didn't want to use trappist yeast for my next batch. Have ingrediants for a bitter, and a packet of muton's yeast for it. I'll start it probably early next week. I need a beer that's not gonna need to be aged for a while in bottle. Lol.

well... just faced another delema. Checked on the batch again and it go so active as to overflow the 7 1/2 g bucket. I had to reach my hand into the brew to retrieve the gormet that got pushed through when installing hte clean airlock. Grrr. Oh well. I dunked my hands in bleach solution before doing so. I figure all is good now. Lol. Took a while, but certainly took off when it decided too.

My LHBS always has free growler bottles. I might get one next time I'm there and make some starters from now on.

Cheesefood said:
My LHBS always has free growler bottles. I might get one next time I'm there and make some starters from now on.

That's what I use! They are, IMHO, perfect or making starters.

Back