Problem with Wort Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedIs4Heart

Reaction score
Last night I brewed my second batch of beer. Everything went way better than the first time, until I got to the wort chiller. No matter what I did, I could not get the wort to go through the chiller. I only did one thing different. The first batch, I put the hop pellets in a bag. It seemed to me that they all ended up in the pot anyway, so the second batch I did not. Could this have caused the problem. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Last night I brewed my second batch of beer. Everything went way better than the first time, until I got to the wort chiller. No matter what I did, I could not get the wort to go through the chiller. I only did one thing different. The first batch, I put the hop pellets in a bag. It seemed to me that they all ended up in the pot anyway, so the second batch I did not. Could this have caused the problem. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Is this a counter flow wort chiller?

I don't use this type of chiller, but I think I've read that hops can clog them.

Try using a SS or copper scrubby to filter the trub out of your chiller. Works for me everytime!

You can find them at any walmart or target in the cleaning section.

if its a plate chiller its probably most likely clogged. they clog very easily when using pellets especially.

there are some good DIY reusable hop bag projects on this site you should check them out. usually using a pvc pipe coupling or reducer and paint starining bag. i think its called a hop spider

another technique is to whirlpool but it takes some practice and patience. I use 1/2whirflock tab for the last 15 minutes of my boil. I slowly, gently get my wort whirlpooling with my spoon (careful not to aerate). I continue to do this every 2-3 minutes until my temps are below 80 degrees and then I let the trub/hops pile/settle to the middle of my BK. I drain from the side of my kettle and get very little trub in my fermenter.

**EDIT**

You can employ more than one method too...

Back