problem with my apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A50SNAKE

Reaction score
hey all, my almost year old apfelwein seems to have taken a turn for the worse...or atleast weird.

after bulk aging in my glass carboy for about 9-10 months, I transferred it to my plastic pail for the last month or two, and now it has developed a film on the top, covering the entire surface of the top. this film reminds me of wax, but it has a "brains" look to it, where it looks like a trail of worms or something...similar to a brain pattern.

any ideas what this is? and if its harmful?

thanks for any help.:(

oh sorry...I forgot to mention, about the time I put it into the pail, I also tried to backsweeten with apple juice concentrate....I figured the more info the better.

Putting it in a bucket, with the wide headspace, is almost guaranteed to ruin a finished wine or cider. The oxygen allows bacteria and/or mold to take hold, that's why it's so important to top up and keep it in a carboy.

It's infected, sorry to say.

ok thought so....so I should just dump it then, and start up another one :D?

one more question, a bit off topic, but I have a red wine which I had forgotten about, and the airlock went dry for many many months, its garbage now too I bet right?

thanks for your help,

A50SNAKE said:
ok thought so....so I should just dump it then, and start up another one :D?

one more question, a bit off topic, but I have a red wine which I had forgotten about, and the airlock went dry for many many months, its garbage now too I bet right?

thanks for your help,

Taste it, but I'm sure it's oxidized.

Putting it in a bucket, with the wide headspace, is almost guaranteed to ruin a finished wine or cider. The oxygen allows bacteria and/or mold to take hold, that's why it's so important to top up and keep it in a carboy.

It's infected, sorry to say.

hey yooper thanks again, I have a question though...what is it exactly that this layer is on my brew?

also,....first to preface, I'm not trying to be a smart aZZ, I'm just curious and I like to learn things... how were they able to, or are they able to still, brew in barrels or other large vessels? isn't that an even wider surface?...

thanks again for all your help and advice.... p.s. I love your recipes.

hey yooper thanks again, I have a question though...what is it exactly that this layer is on my brew?

also,....first to preface, I'm not trying to be a smart aZZ, I'm just curious and I like to learn things... how were they able to, or are they able to still, brew in barrels or other large vessels? isn't that an even wider surface?...

thanks again for all your help and advice.... p.s. I love your recipes.

It is probably lactobacillus, but it could be peddiococcus.

Brewing in large vessels is fine, but normally after fermentation ends the vessels are smaller and topped up so as to not leave any headspace.

thanks for the info Yooper...sadly this one will be going down the drain or in the ditch on the other side of the road... :p hahaha....

I'm not sure if it's worth the risk, considering the cost to make it was so low. And I'm not sure if the infection is only isolated to the top layer, it could be through out the batch too.

Can anyone who has racked from under an infection before comment?

Thanks,

Back