Problem with Johnson Controls A419 Digital Temp Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikechambers

Reaction score
I just received a pre-wired Johnson Controls A419 Digital Temp Controller from Northern Brewers.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/temp-control.html

I plugged it in, and then plugged the fridge into it, and the fridge works fine. However, I get not information on the LCD display, and the little light on the control doesn't light up. Basically, there is no way for me to view or set the temperature.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Do I have to set something up before using it?

When I first plug it in, characters do display on the LCD, but then it goes blank.

Thanks for any input or information...

mike

fyi

Just to close on this. I got in touch with NorthernBrewers.com and they said it sounded like a defective unit.

They are sending me a new one.

mike

I ordered a Johnson A419 but it was not pre-wired. Can anyone provide instructions on how to wire this to a GE chest freezer? I did some searching but was unable to find anything.

Thanks for the help.

Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but the link posted by p-nut no longer links to the instructions. I was wondering if anyone knew of any other source for getting the wiring diagrams. Every search I run turns up a link to the dead site...

Thanks,

Dead thread resurrection- I have an old fridge that I am using as fermentation chamber, and want to install a temp controller. I have heard many people say I should hard wire the thermostat, and this post says you can just plug the fridge into the unit and then the wall. What are the cons of this simple solution?

Take a 3 prong extention cord and cut it in half. The power cord coming from your fridge plugs into the extention cord, then goes to the controller, then goes into the wall.

This way you aren't modifying the fridge. Make sense?

another bump...

i have the digital A419 controller and it seems to be on the fritz today. it keeps flashing back and forth with the current temp (70) and "ASD". my "SP" is 66 so it could be kicking on the compressor to cool down.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

ASD stands for "Anti Short Cycle Delay"

This means it is was running, and stopped, and then the temp rose enough that normally it would kick back on, but the delay prevents it from doing so in order to keep the compressor from dying out quickly. I believe the default setting for the delay is 10 minutes, but I could be wrong.

another bump...

i have the digital A419 controller and it seems to be on the fritz today. it keeps flashing back and forth with the current temp (70) and "ASD". my "SP" is 66 so it could be kicking on the compressor to cool down.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yep, the ASD alternating with the current temp on the display indicates the the anti-short cycle delay has been triggered. This can happen if you set the differential so tight that the cycle is shorter than the delay time. The solution is to shorten the delay setting, increase the differential or both so that the run time will always exceed the delay duration. Unplugging and immediately re-connecting the power to the freezer will trip the ASD feature. It will reset automatically once the selected delay time has elapsed.

This Johnson Controls link worked for me today, 1.1.2012, showing a PDF file

http://cgproducts.johnsoncontrols.com/MET_PDF/125188.PDF

Question: Out of the box, is the A419 set, by the jumpers, for Cooling, NOT Heating? To use the A419, all we have to do is set the Set Point to the temp we want the freezer to operate at. Then it it will maintain this Cooling Temperature.

From a homebrewer, I found the following recommended settings on Amazon Discussions when searching to buy the A419. (More informative instructions than I was able to find in the PDF)

What do you think of these settings for your kegerator?

SP: setpoint (for my purpose 67) the temperature you want the thing to try and maintain.

dIF: differential (1 to 30F, default = 5) I leave at default, this is the point + or - from the setpoint temp (so 62 to 73 in my case.

ASd: anti-short cycle delay (0 to 12 minutes, default = 1) I set to 12 minutes, just to put the least amount of stress on the compressor.

Thanks

[...]
dIF: differential (1 to 30F, default = 5) I leave at default, this is the point + or - from the setpoint temp (so 62 to 73 in my case.
[...]

Clearly, Amazon Discussions is hardly infallible (unlike HBT ;) )

The effect of Temperature Differential depends on the A419 operating mode, and in no case is it "+/- the Set Point".

In COOLING mode, the differential is entirely above the set point; in HEATING mode, the differential is entirely below the set point...

Cheers!

I think I have the same controller. Has someone found some basic instructions somewhere that goes through the steps to get this thing working. I opened it up, set the setpoint to 40deg and left it go. I have a separate temp gauge that tells me the temperature is dropping below my setpoint. Wtf?

I have a separate temp gauge that tells me the temperature is dropping below my setpoint. Wtf?

The thermal mass of your fridge/freezer will cause the temp to drop a bit after the controller shuts the unit off. My ferm chamber will drift another 5 degrees after it shuts off.

Look at page 7 of this manual. For a typical cooling application, you want to remove the jumper from P4-JUMP1 and install the jumper on P4-JUMP2. And of course, install a jumper across both pins of J5 to enable the touch pad.

That will enable "Cooling Mode/Cut Out", which means the unit will turn on the output once the measured temperature rises to Setpoint + Differential, and will remain on until the measured temperature falls to Setpoint.

Cheers!

Just wired up my Johnson Control A419. Next time I'll pay the extra to get it pre-wired. Maybe it was because I had a flat appliance cord that was extra stiff, but it was a pain in the patoot. Add the cost of a good cable and it's only a few dollars more for someone else to wire it, anyway

Also knocked out the brewing on the Scottish Ale. In about 8-9 days I'll brew my dry hopped Kolsch-style pilsner/lager. This will be my first recipe not from a clone or modified. I'm excited. Don't usually do them this close together, but the pilsner will take time and patience.

This Johnson Controls link worked for me today, 1.1.2012, showing a PDF file

http://cgproducts.johnsoncontrols.com/MET_PDF/125188.PDF

Question: Out of the box, is the A419 set, by the jumpers, for Cooling, NOT Heating? To use the A419, all we have to do is set the Set Point to the temp we want the freezer to operate at. Then it it will maintain this Cooling Temperature.

From a homebrewer, I found the following recommended settings on Amazon Discussions when searching to buy the A419. (More informative instructions than I was able to find in the PDF)

What do you think of these settings for your kegerator?

SP: setpoint (for my purpose 67) the temperature you want the thing to try and maintain.

ASd: anti-short cycle delay (0 to 12 minutes, default = 1) I set to 12 minutes, just to put the least amount of stress on the compressor.

Thanks

This post made me :rockin:

Many thanks!

Back