Problem with co2 pressure regulator (or I don't know how to use it).

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kostbill

Reaction score
Hi all,
I bought a co2 pressure regulator and I am using a co2 tank to make carbonated drinks.

Info:
- I have 3 or 4 rounds of teflon before screwing the pressure regulator on the tank.
- When I try to carbonate water it works, I have no problems, the bottle instantly becomes full and hard and after a couple of carbonation cycles my water is very carbonated.
- Also please excuse my English, it is not my mother language.

I have the following questions, if anyone can help, please do!

- I have no idea how to use the regulator, no matter how much clock wise or counter clock wise I turn the regulator adjustment screw, the pressure indication in the gauge is the same, about 53.

- When the co2 tank's cylinder valve is fully closed, if I release the pressure from the regulator's release valve, I always hear some gas flowing out, not with great pressure though. Is this normal? Shouldn't I hear nothing at all instead?

- Also, the shut off valve, is not ON/OFF, is not a switch, it has many turns, does it adjust pressure too?

- My main problem however arose when I watched some videos on how to make dry ice with a co2 tank (example here: ). When I tried it, by cutting the bottom of a plastic bottle off, and placing the carbonation cap on the bottle, that the co2 that was coming out was not coming out with high pressure, I could just hear a small hiss and nothing happened, no dry ice of course, it was as if the pressure was too low.

Any ideas on these?

Thanks!

Welcome to HBT.

Do you have two gauges on your regulator? Can you post a pic?

On the vid he is running directly from the bottle, no regulator.

Hi,

It never occurred to me. I will remove the regulator and see what will happen, I will have to buy a hose first.

I will post a picture when I go home in order to solve the other questions.

Thanks for that!

The screw is what adjusts the pressure, not the on/off. That's a switch like you said.

Depending on what regulator you have, there might be a nut around the screw that keeps it from moving properly. Once you have figured out how to set it where you want it, the nut helps avoid making large adjustments. You may need to loosen that nut so it backs off from the body of the regulator.

53 is high even for carbonated water.

That dry ice video is weird. I would not stand in front of where the CO2 is coming out. When you open the valve without a regulator, it should be very high pressure coming out. But that device he screws on is more than just a plastic bottle. There must be something that controls how much gas comes out or something.

I will post pictures of the regulator later today.
As for the dry ice, I will try to find more info,
thanks.

So I made a video but the quality is poor.

At that point the main co2 tank valve was open, and I was just turning the regulator valve.
When unscrewed, it changed nothing.
When I put it back and screwed, at some point, the second gauge went a bit up, but when unscrewed, it stayed there.
Anyone has any insight here?

How can I set this thing to 35 psi?

Thanks all.

My guess is that behavior is totally normal: you have filled the low pressure side to whatever pressure and now it won't drop - but it can go higher if you crank the pressure up.

So, look below the regulator pressure knob and you will find a Pressure Relief Valve.
Try using it when trying to lower the pressure...

Cheers!

Thanks for the answer, I will try that tomorrow.

I have a question: what should I do if I want the pressure to be 35 psi from the start?
I mean, everyone who carbonates start from high pressure and gets low by pulling the relief valve, or is there an initial configuration?

- My main problem however arose when I watched some videos on how to make dry ice with a co2 tank (example here: ). When I tried it, by cutting the bottom of a plastic bottle off, and placing the carbonation cap on the bottle, that the co2 that was coming out was not coming out with high pressure, I could just hear a small hiss and nothing happened, no dry ice of course, it was as if the pressure was too low.

Any ideas on these?

Thanks!

This video explains the issue. CO2 cylinders for beer and beverage carbonation are like the paint ball tanks. They do not dispense liquid unless turned upside down.

[media]

Brew on :mug:

[...]I have a question: what should I do if I want the pressure to be 35 psi from the start? I mean, everyone who carbonates start from high pressure and gets low by pulling the relief valve, or is there an initial configuration?

Let's assume you start with the regulator pressure sitting at zero psi:
- Close the output valve (that small knob with the On/Off on it).
- Open the cylinder valve.
- Turn the pressure knob until the low pressure gauge shows 35 psi.
- Open the output valve fully.
Done.

Now, let's say 24 hours later you want to lower the pressure:
- Close the output valve
- Turn the regulator pressure way down (judging from your video, a few turns to start).
- Pop the Pressure Relief Valve, and you should notice the low pressure gauge drop
- If the pressure isn't low enough, repeat the last two steps.
- Once the pressure is below your new target, adjust the pressure knob to sneak back up to where you want it to be.
- Open the output valve fully.
Done.

btw, the reason for closing the output valve when adjusting the regulator pressure is to prevent whatever is connected down-stream (like a keg) from influencing the process...

Cheers!

Many regulators are not “relieving” style regulators.
For example If you set regulator to 25psi on a keg, then reduce the pressure by turning the adjusting knob nothing will happen unless you open the pressure relief valve venting the built up pressure. In a self relieving regulator lowering the pressure by turning the adjusting knob will result in a low volume release of pressure until the set point is reached. These regulators are usually a bit more expensive and are commonly used in pneumatic machines for accurate tension adjustment.
Brew on
Jb

When you turn all the gas off, does it ever go below 53? Can you raise it above 53 (carefully)? If not, then maybe something is wrong with the regulator.

But definitely try relieving the pressure with the pressure relief on the regulator OR by venting the keg.

Thanks people.

I was wrongly assuming that the gauge on the up side was the psi indicator, but it was the gauge on the left side.

day_trippr's provided very good instructions.

Back