Problem with CO2 and keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdatum

Reaction score
I recently bought a kegerator conversion kit, and install with smoothly. The kit came with a new CO2 tank, so I got that filled.

I cleaned and sanitized the kegs, fill the keg with CO2 to check if there were any leaks, but did not seem to be any. So I transfer my beer over to the kegs (I had two batches so two kegs), hook up the lines and set it at 8 psi. Things are going fine, but the 3rd day I noticed a significant drop (25%) in the CO2 capacity. I figured that this was because it was filling the tank with CO2 and did not think more of it. Today, I open up the fridge and the CO2 tank is empty. I pull on the release for both kegs, and no CO2 escapes at all (not even a little).

Does anyone have any idea what might have gone wrong? The only thing I can think of is that there is a leak at where the gas line connects to the top of the keg, and while CO2 was pumping into the keg, it was fine, but eventually it started escaping from that leak and drained the tank of everything.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

A leak somewhere. If you use Starsan in a spray bottle spritz some on all the connections and around the lid. It will bubble if there is a leak.

I had something very similar happen to me. I read up on it and noticed that even though there is a rubber gasket in the regulator connection, some people put a washer in the connection to the tank.

When I went for a refill I got a few of the washers. Hooked it up to my setup and used 50/50 soap/water to check for leaks (rub it on with your finger). I didn't notice any leaks, and I haven't had problems since.

So I can only assume it was the washer.

Yup, it's happened to us all at one point. :( You had a leak, so use the Starsan/spray bottle trick to find it.

As for preventing it in the future, I would suggest pressurizing to a higher pressure. 8 psi is likely not enough to really close off a good seal on the keg. I would set it to at least 12 psi (I leave mine at 15). Many people pressurize it to 30 psi to seat all the seals, then pull the pressure relief valve to vent it down to the desired pressure (12-15 psi). At 8 psi, some seals might not be fully seated, and CO2 can leak out.

Also, invest in a tub/tube of keg lube. Use it liberally. It has made a world of difference for me as far as eliminating leaks.

Back