Problem using silicone tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thach1aj

Reaction score
I switched to using silicone tubing for brewing and I loved it except I had problems when the silicone got hot the hose clamps I used ate into the silicone hose causing it to make holes. I am using your common hose clamp and I was wondering if there is something else I should be using to attach the hose to a barb? Does anyone have some ideas? Thanks.

Andrew

They make hose clamps that don't have holes in them, only little divots that the screw threads into to tighten them. My buddy who works on cars gave me a bunch when I told him about having the same problem... I'll ask him today at work what they are called... or you could search them out at the hardware store.

I switched to using silicone tubing for brewing and I loved it except I had problems when the silicone got hot the hose clamps I used ate into the silicone hose causing it to make holes. I am using your common hose clamp and I was wondering if there is something else I should be using to attach the hose to a barb? Does anyone have some ideas? Thanks.

Andrew

Google ABA clamps. Their are solutions out there. In a pinch, you can use a bit of bike inner-tube as a liner for your standard hose clamps...and don't overtighten.

Edit: good call on the above suggestion.

How hot? Are the flames (if used) licking up the side of the pot? Got a picture of your system?

I used some sort of metal clamp for awhile. I had trouble with air leaks and somebody told me to try using small zip ties. I use two at each fitting and do not tighten them too mush. Have had zero problems since.

Back