problem dispensing from Sankey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjuice

Reaction score
I bought a Sankey tap and hooked it up using 5/16 ID gas line to a new regulator. My beer line out was 3/16 ID and about 5-6 feet long. I used teflon tape on all fittings and all connections were secure.

I used it for a big party I had and every time i used it I got a full cup of foam. If I let it continue to run, it was fine. Put it down, go to fill another beer a minute later and AGAIN a full glass of foam! So I ended up filling about ten cups at a time and putting them on the keg ice.

I ran it at 8-12 PSI all day and had no other problems from the system besides the foaming. Are my tubing diameters wrong? Any suggestions?

I run the same system on my homebrew with a 5/16 gas line and a standard 5 feet of 3/16 beer out tubing with no issues of foaming.

two things come to mind.

one:

the beerline warmed up inbetween pours, therefore the first glass would be foamy until the beerline cooled down to beer temperature.

two:

the sankey was overcarbed, or you didn't cool it down enough. the head pressure would build up in between pours, so the first pour would come out very quickly, causing the foam, but the headpressure would go down, so the successive pours would be ok, but inbetween pours, the headpressure would again increase as more co2 would come out of solution.

solution: make sure your keg and beerline are at serving temperature, and that the keg is at proper carbonation level.

at least that is from my perspective, which could always be wrong. haha. i hope this helps though.

Back