problem carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenEnnis

Reaction score
bottled a batch about 2 weeks ago. went to sample it today and it was flat.
should I give it more time ?
Do I have other options

You don't really have a lot of options. Make sure they are at room temp give them all a little shake. Also did you add the correct amount of priming super to your bottling bucket ?

10 oz.priming sugar dissolved in 4 cups of water heated for ten minutes

10?!!! Oh wow! That's a lot should have been 4 maybe 5. It's odd they are flat, they should be exploding.

5 gallons. can I pour it back into a bottling bucket and re prime it

Yes, Transamguy was correct. 10 oz is a lot. No expert here, but if they aren't carbonating, the sugar hasn't been used and adding more won't help. I suspect you have a yeast problem. Maybe put them somewhere warmer? Upper 70's maybe?

Do you have them at room temp? If you put them straight into the fridge the yeast I'll go to sleep and not eat the sugars.

That should be plenty of sugar, 2 weeks isn't much time, put them somewhere out of sight and forget about it for another 10 days.

Consider yourself lucky. 10 oz of priming sugar will almost certainly end in bombs if your process was solid.

I'm no expert, but my priming solution is generally about 4 oz of cane sugar in a cup or so of boiled distilled water ( shooting for 2.4 vols on average). 10 oz of any sugar and 4 cups of water is a massive amount of solution.

sweet jesus billy. More priming sugar will not carbonate faster. Who told you to put 10oz in!?

as said earlier, wait another week and make sure they are 70f. Once these start carbonating you will have to crack the lids to prevent bottle bombs and beer so foamy its almost undrinkable.

Do you have them at room temp? If you put them straight into the fridge the yeast I'll go to sleep and not eat the sugars.

That should be plenty of sugar, 2 weeks isn't much time, put them somewhere out of sight and forget about it for another 10 days.

I don't put them in a fridge until an hour or so before I go to drink one.
I only chill what I am going to consume that day.
I keep them in the same place that I ferment them where it is 62 degrees.
also it could have been 5 oz of sugar I bought it as a kit so everything was pre-measured. i think the problem was that I used a glass secondary and could not stir the sugar into the mixture. I auto syphon into the bottles from there

62F is a bit too cool to carbonate in the normal 3 week time frame. They need to be around 70F or better. l and those kit packets of dextrose are indeed 5ozs. So that should be around 2.4 Volumes of Co2...

this is the 3rd batch that has fermented in the basement. the others turned out fine.
I will bring them upstairs and see if that helps.
there have only been two things that changed on this batch compared to the others
this was the first batch I have put in a glass secondary and in glass bottles

Glass in and of itself won't prevent carbonation. I see you have 2 issues going on.
1) the temp in your basement is a bit too low. Try getting the bottles to 70 degrees or so and see if it helps.
2) you said you couldn't stir in the priming solution because you bottle from secondary instead of a bottling bucket. If you can't mix the priming solution evenly you run the risk of having a batch of bottles with varying degrees of carbonation.

as a test I brought 6 of the bottles upstairs where it is 72 or so degrees. I will give it a week and see what happens. don't think I will use the glass secondary again as the narrow opening keeps me from stirring anything I put into it. it is a glass water bottle from a water cooler or that's what it looks like.

Back