problem capping bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellijo89

Reaction score
Today at my LHBS i for the first time bought bottles since i was low on them and needed to bottle my blonde ale. So i just started bottling them and the caps felt weird on the new bottles (standard 12oz). I then kept bending the caps, and they wouldn't go fully on. I cap with the standard red hand held caper. After looking into it i realize the rim of the bottles are bigger then usual for the standard crown caps. so now i have 5 gallons of beer i cant bottle.

my question is has this happened to other people? i just never thought to think about that, especially since the store sold them side by side.

also i plan on just putting this back into carboy and letting the priming sugar ferment out until i can find more bottles and do the process over again. is that the best way to go?

Too bad-I live in Salem OR and have enough 12oz and 22oz with the standard size cap if you would like them. Pullman is a long way to go but if you can find someone going your way the bottles would be free. I'd gladly help you out with 5 gallons capacity in bottles. I switched to kegging and have not bottled more than a sixer here or there since.

Thats funny you say you are in Salem, i was in Corvalis yesterday and drove through Salem back to the tri-cities where i am living for the summer. Thanks for the offer though! i actually apparently just had some bad bottles in the middle of the box where i kept trying from, ended up the other 3/4 or so were good to use. Was lucky.

Sounds like you may have gotten ahold of some "European" style glass. Depending upon your capper you can get a second crimper for it and caps.

I think you'd be ok letting it ferment out and trying again when you have the right equipment. I may change flavor profile somewhat but should turn out ok...

Here are examples of what I'm talking about...

European Capping Bell Housing

29mm Caps

Back