Problem brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBrent

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Help!

My last four batches have come out tasting like gag! The off-flavor is the same in all four batches. The beer tastes good going in but the finish tastes bad. I've made four diffrent beers all resulting in the same nasty tasting finish. I thought I was cleaning and sanatizing correctly but maybe not. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

BeerBrent said:
Help!

My last four batches have come out tasting like gag! The off-flavor is the same in all four batches. The beer tastes good going in but the finish tastes bad. I've made four diffrent beers all resulting in the same nasty tasting finish. I thought I was cleaning and sanatizing correctly but maybe not. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

What exactly does the bad gaggy off taste, taste like?

http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html has a big list of off flavors and their causes. See if you can match up what yours tastes like

it smells the way it tastes. very bitter aftertaste, not fruity at all, maybe a little butterscotchy or band-aid like.

More details.

How are you sanitizing?
What temps are you fermenting at?
How long have you let the beer sit before starting to drink them?

Some flavors such as those will age out. I had a brew this summer that was the first I was tempted to toss. I let it sit for 4 months and it turned into one of the better brews I think I have made.

extract brew kit - ordinary bitter
fermentation 68 degrees
three weeks priming before drinking.

I use pbw to clean and sanstar for sanitation.

the recipe is papazian's palace bitter

Back