Probable Fermentor Seal Issue - Continue to Condition or Start Over?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awoitte

Reaction score
It's my first time using my DIY stainless fermenter. The 6 gallon pot had a hole punched through the top for the bung/airlock, and I purchased a seal and followed instructions based off the following thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/diy-stainless-steel-fermenters.490055/page-4#post-8565144

My gravity in the last week has fell from 1.052 to 1.018, yet there has been no activity in the airlock whatsoever. I thought (and still think) I have an issue with the seal going around the rim of the kettle. What's odd is when I gently push the bung down a little bit, the fluid in the airlock shifts from one section to the other, making me think it is the only location allowing pressure to release.

I'd hate to go through the entire lagering/conditioning process only to have it to be contaminated. I could scrap it and brew it over again next week, say screw it and just keep going and hope for the best, or attempt to take the lid/seal off and see if I can correct it but I'm also worried with fermentation slowing it might bring in something nasty...

Thoughts?

You are unlikely to have any problems. Leaky seals are very common with buckets and people freak out only to find that they have made good beer. Just don't let it sit for a long period after fermentation ends. That could oxidize the beer.

What he said. Contamaination is minimal concern. Oxidation would be the bigger one.

That said, if you're dropping temps to lagering temps and then keeping it there, with a less than sealed vessel, the crash alone will draw in oxygen, and then time will make it worse. i wouldn't even cold crash with your setup as is, let alone lager.

I'm now thinking it would be best to do a secondary transfer to one of my carboys that will seal for doing the lager process.

If you keg, rack to a keg *before crashing it*, put it under a couple PSI, then do it all in the keg. Need some slight positive CO2 pressure when dropping the temp.

Latest posts

Back