Pro Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer3401

Reaction score
What ever happened to Pro Mash

I have used since 2002 and from reviews, it was the strongest program for brewing on the market.

I still use it - is there anything way more advanced ?

If so, which one and why.

Thanks

I bought into Beersmith, mainly because when I checked out Promash, it's website was copyrighted 2009 and the last OS it said it was compatible with was XP. Beersmith just released V 2.0 and seems to have a steady stream of support. I haven't heard anything bad about Promash, and haven't used it in so long I forget what it was like but if it works for you then why change.

From what I could tell from my review of Beersmith 2.0, there is nothing more advanced in that program compared to ProMash. Both programs do the same calculations very effectively. The main difference is the user interface.

Unless ProMash is not working on your machine, there really is no reason to upgrade to another program unless you like another interface better.

OK, thanks for both replies.

My Pro Mash is working fine, and I'm still running XP

Totally satisfied with it - calculations are spot on - if you tell it what you're doing and actually do what you say, you get what the software tells you you're going to get.

I like the user interface - liked it from when I first got it.

Thanks Again

I have been using promash for about 10 years or so. I recently downloaded a trial of beersmith. I don't see any advantages over promash. Anyone else care to chime in?

I still use promash.

One nice thing is once installed, you can just keep the install folder to run it on other machines. I've upgraded computers several times and now just keep it on a shared drive on the network so I can get to and run it from any convienient computer.

I think Beer Smith has some import features that I don't have in ProMash.

BeerSmith is also currently supported by the developer, ProMash has not been updated in many years (not that it needs it).

--Doug

dbooth914 said:
I think Beer Smith has some import features that I don't have in ProMash.

BeerSmith is also currently supported by the developer, ProMash has not been updated in many years (not that it needs it).

--Doug

What features are you talking about?

I still use promash.

One nice thing is once installed, you can just keep the install folder to run it on other machines. I've upgraded computers several times and now just keep it on a shared drive on the network so I can get to and run it from any convienient computer.

A trick several of us who brew together use, is to keep the promash folder as a shared dropbox folder. That way, we can all access the same data. Dropbox also keeps revision backups for us too.

On the promash forum he posted that the v2.0 should be in beta testing before the end of the year - I certainly hope so. I really love the program, but there are a few things I would change that should be corrected with the new version. Fingers crossed!

Back