Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoopirV900

Reaction score
I love fall, especially now that we live in the desert southwest: we drop out of the triple digits and I get to golf again. So I got myself all excited with the approaching autumnal holidays and decided last weekend to brew a "fall-y" beer. It's a wheat that sits on 3lbs of cranberries, 2 oranges and 2 apples, all macerated together in secondary.
I guess I thought for a second that I was back east, where cranberries seemed to be available year round...but now I've got a wheat that needs to be racked and I don't have the ingredients to finish it. There are some specialty stores in town that may have them, but $$$!

So- do you all think it'd be okay to rack to secondary (dry, no fruit) and "age" (stall) until the dang berries find their way into our local market? At that point I would rack again onto the fruit and pretend none of this ever happened...

I think you would be fine to move to secondary and add the fruit later, assuming your headspace is not to large.

As an alternative: Craisins are dried cranberries, probably would absorb some beer but they are delicious, I am unsure if they have any preservatives.

Cranberries aren't even available here in New England yet - I think they are just starting the harvest. We always make Cranberry Walnut jam each year, and have been keeping an eye out for their appearence. Unfortunately, rhubarb has just dropped out of season, so no more Strawberry Rhubarb jam or pies this year...

You might want to check around and see if anyone carries frozen cranberries....

I believe you forgot a "P". The 7 P's of business management and beer making. Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Peformance.

f*ck your couch, it was 57F this morning. i f-ing hate fall, it means our 3 months of summer is over.

Back