Prince Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treacheroustexan

Reaction score
So, a local brewery posted on Facebook today that they are releasing a Prince Pale ale THIS saturday. How *****ey, this just happened. So I'm assuming they just took a random pale ale they brewed weeks ago and slapped Princes name on it = $$$$. Or they will be serving a 2 day old beer lol.

Thoughts?

My two cents but its just beer. Personally I don't think I'd be drawn to go out and buy a beer named after a recently passed celebrity. Nope, I can't see myself going to a brewery/bar and ordering a Prince Pale Ale or a Robin Williams IPA... Just seems too strange to be a tribute to me

It could be a low-class marketing move or it could be that the brewer or owner is a really big fan and this is a (somewhat ill-conceived) tribute to the man.

This is, of course, assuming the "Prince Pale Ale" was not already planned and just happened to coincide with his passing.

I'm not a Prince fan. But he was a very accomplished musician.

There's no "absolutes" in music. Very personal and subjective.

Though, in 2012 Rolling Stone magazine released their list of the 500 greatest albums of all time, Prince is 4 of them. And the lowest one is at #206. The list was based on "extensive polls".

I have this collection of albums.

There's no "absolutes" in music. Very personal and subjective.

Though, in 2012 Rolling Stone magazine released their list of the 500 greatest albums of all time, Prince is 4 of them. And the lowest one is at #206. The list was based on "extensive polls".

I have this collection of albums.

Leaving aside his other musical talents (which are many) Rolling Stone put him on the greatest guitarists list between John Lee Hooker and Billy Gibbons. Not a bad place to be.

I just hate the way that, like, 3 days ago, no one gave a sh*t about Prince, and now suddenly he's a visionary. Nobody played his music on the radio, nobody raved about how awesome he was, and now that he's dead, suddenly he's a modern day Paul McCartney. I never cared for his music, and I hate this disingenuous "Prince was Amazing" hyperbole.

Which brewery is it? I spend a lot of time in the Cleveland area brewery hopping and I hope its not one of my favorites. I've never been a big Prince fan myself but this kind of cash grab is pretty *****ey.

F$& that. I am making a kosher kolsch tonight in honor of Passover ( tonight btw) to be dunk in a month or so.... Timing is key on these issues and it seems the brewery owner is going for gold on a recent event.

I just hate the way that, like, 3 days ago, no one gave a sh*t about Prince, and now suddenly he's a visionary. Nobody played his music on the radio, nobody raved about how awesome he was, and now that he's dead, suddenly he's a modern day Paul McCartney..

I don't know about YOUR circle of friends, but pretty much everyone i know that ever spoke about music had stated that "Prince is a musical genious" at some point or another even if they didn't particularly listen to his style much/at all.

Prince had talent in multiple instruments and was a creative writer.
Your statement of "mediocre at best" more aptly applies to somebody like
"Britney Spears"

I was never a Prince fan and it was with the news of his passing yesterday that I realized my mistake. I watched many of his videos and interviews mostly for the first time and was quite moved.

The first thing that hit me was this guy played the guitar like Jimi Hendrix. I mean, totally freakin' mind-blowingly awesome.

The second this was his spirituality. He was a deep and soulful person.

Lastly, when he was getting ready to play the halftime show at Superbowl 2007 in Miami, they called his hotel early that morning to tell him it was raining and was that ok. His response? "Can you make it rain harder?"

What a stud.

Which brewery is it? I spend a lot of time in the Cleveland area brewery hopping and I hope its not one of my favorites. I've never been a big Prince fan myself but this kind of cash grab is pretty *****ey.

Platform. They have since back tracked and won't be releasing the beer under that name.

I just hate the way that, like, 3 days ago, no one gave a sh*t about Prince, and now suddenly he's a visionary. Nobody played his music on the radio, nobody raved about how awesome he was, and now that he's dead, suddenly he's a modern day Paul McCartney. I never cared for his music, and I hate this disingenuous "Prince was Amazing" hyperbole.

What in the world are you talking about? Pop stations played his big hits all the time. The little college station I listen to played his lesser known but really cool music often. He toured constantly, filling up places like the Sydney Opera House as recently as February, 2016.

ETA: And speaking of Paul McCartney: http://radio.com/2016/04/22/the-stones-beatles-pay-tribute-to-prince/

If you're saying that Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger, Ronnie Wood, Elton John, Madonna, etc. are being disingenuous ...

Sorry we tried to edit the previous post about our beer named Prince. We hear you. We did not think of it as that. Honestly, one of our owners' favorite artist of all time is Prince and we thought it would be cool way to pay homage. Totally not trying to offend. We will no longer release the beer under this name.

from the facebook page....

Platform has some amazing beers.

And now I doubt the validity of this story, doesn't seem like something they would do.

This was the original post.

My take on the story. Yeah it's just beer. But to slap this name on a random beer they had already brewed weeks ago is no tribute to him whatsoever. And the fact that Platform can open up another huge project in the Columbus area and can't even keep their quality under control in the Cleveland market. Do you know how many off batches make it into cans and onto store shelves? This just adds into the "making a quick buck" scenario. Then they played it off acting like people were offended. No one was complaining about them being offended. It's just the fact that it wasn't an actual tribute beer..

They're just shady, man. Yeah, they aren't releasing it anymore because of the amount of complaints they got. Good for them.

View attachment 1461424996130.jpg

I live in South Africa... Wednesday on my local radio station 2 American soldiers was hosted, they are attending an international shooting competition here. Great interveiw, a new insight into American culture, straight foreward without pretence. Their comment on stereotyping Americans were,America is a big country with a lot of culture...not just pop and MiryCyrice???? Sorry! I enjoyed Prince and some of his music, I understand that some have to pay homepage, (wathing the video footage of buildings in purple was great) even here radio stations have days tributes to him but to cash in, please... Purple Rain. My tribute.

I've only been into Platform twice. 1st time I wasn't impressed but I was in there last month and had a pretty good porter and an IPA that was OK. There are plenty of other great breweries in Cleveland and more opening all the time. If they are having quality issues and keep up stunts like this, they won't make it in the long run.

Meh, his music was never my kind of music, and as I said, I get annoyed at all the disingenuous fawning over him, just because he died.

What does "his kind of music" not being your kind of music have to do with his musical abilities? (Nothing. That was a rhetorical question).

Eric Clapton, Billy Gibbons, (the list goes on) gave him kudos way before he kicked the bucket. If you have some specific critic of his musicality that these guys have missed, enlighten us.

He had the chops.

Sorry we tried to edit the previous post about our beer named Prince. We hear you. We did not think of it as that. Honestly, one of our owners' favorite artist of all time is Prince and we thought it would be cool way to pay homage. Totally not trying to offend. We will no longer release the beer under this name.

from the facebook page....

This is exactly what I thought it was. A genuine (and ill-advised) attempt by a fan to pay homage to a favorite artist after his passing.

Back