Priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbird

Reaction score
How much priming sugar do I add per 12oz bottle? I would add it to the wort but I'm not sure how much I have.
Also do I add water and heat it? If so how much water per bottle?
Just need some guide lines.
Thanks.

Honestly, do NOT do it by the bottle unless you like long and meticulous labor! Prime by the batch and mix it in with ALL the beer.

Usually you will heat 1-2 pints of water and dissolve in 5oz of corn sugar for priming of a 5 gallon batch. Table sugar can be substituted but needs to boil about 5 minutes to break down sufficiently (corn sugar is easier to break down, like 2-3 minutes of boil).

Once I forgot to prime a batch! I thought I had really messed up and ruined 5 gallons of beer, but found a product that is like candy. Drop one candy per bottle and recap. This did awesomely!!

Not to be a jerk, but after it ferments, it's beer, not wort.

How much does your bottling bucket say you have?
Otherwise, you can add what catdaddy said (coopers carb drops)

Or....

try this

As a general rule I use between 2/3 and 3/4 cup of sugar per five gallons. mix it with a couple cups water, boil it, add to bottling bucket, drain beer from fermenter into bottling bucket, mix well, and then bottle.

My bucket does not have a scale on it below 2 gallons. I just made that mark using water. I used 1oz of priming sugar in my one gallon batch. It is all an experiment beer anyway so why not just experiment with the priming sugar. Just got it bottled so we will se what happens.
Now lets focus on my chili beer!

Back