priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenspider

Reaction score
I hope someone can help me soon with this as I'm already in action.
I read that instead of melting your priming sugar into a pint of water that you should use a pint of the beer instead.
Dummy that I am I used the pint of beer and I want to know when to add this.
Do I add this as it is hot or wait until it cools to 75F.?
What if I'm not ready to add this yet, I made it up too early, can I store this for a day or two until I am ready?

Thanks guys

1. I boil water, add priming sugar, stir until fully disolved.
2. Let it cool
3. Put in the bottom of your bottling bucket
4. Rack the beer ontop of the priming sugar

If you want to save it, just keep it in a sanitized, sealed container in the fridge and then let it warm to room temperature before you add it.

If you want to save it, just keep it in a sanitized, sealed container in the fridge and then let it warm to room temperature before you add it.

You don't really need to warm it up to room temp to use it. Assuming you're making 5 gallons of beer, 1 pint of cold liquid is not going to change the temp of 5 gallons at room temp.

For what it's worth, a pint of water isn't going to make a difference in the flavor or mouthfeel of five gallons of beer, so there's really no reason not to just use water. You can use less than a pint, as well... I used to use 8 - 12 ounces when I was bottling.

Not trying to hijack the thread but I figured I would post here instead of making a new thread with the same general topic.

What are the thoughts on priming with sugar or using carbtabs?

I primed with sugar but the 12oz bottles I filled seem to be slightly flat 3 weeks after bottling but the 22oz bottles seem just fine. Not sure why so am wondering if there is a difference or a preference between sugar or carbtabs?

Carbtabs are for convenience; you don't have do any boiling or measuring (they're usually about 3g of glucose). The down side is that you lose control over your carbonation level. If you're looking for an average amount of carbonation in a 12oz bottle they're great, if not, sugar's the way to go.

Is there a rule of thumb for the amount of priming sugar for a 5 gallon batch or is it style specific? My LHBS sells 5 0z. premeasued packs but I thought I've seen other amounts used around here.Also how long does it take bottles to generally explode or does that vary?

Sorry Randal, I can't answer that but hang in there, an answer will come.

Okay. After 3 days of level readings I went ahead and bottled my beer. It has been just over a week now and being impatient as I am I opened a bottle to test/try it.
There was a small "PHHHHTTT" when I opened the bottle.
The beer tastes a little citrussie (?) and/or soury (?) (It's a heavy Scottish ale).
The beer has little to no carbonation.

Any thoughts on these issues?

P.S.
My beer is in the basement where it stays around 70/75 degrees.
I left it out for 3 days then refrigerated half of it.
The other half is still on the floor, in the dark, and I have no blow ups yet.

P.S.
My beer is in the basement where it stays around 70/75 degrees.
I left it out for 3 days then refrigerated half of it.
The other half is still on the floor, in the dark, and I have no blow ups yet.

Give it 3 weeks at 70/75 to properly carbonate. After that point, I prefer to leave my beers in the fridge for 2days to a month of cold conditioning in the fridge before drinking.

If they're not fully carbed, take them back out of the fridge and let them warm to room temp. Most of the yeast will have settled, so when they start to warm, turn them on their side and roll them around a couple of times. That will help get the yeast back into suspension. Don't be in a hurry; they will only get better with time. I give mine a month to carb up.

How much does carbonation change the flavor of the beer? Will it bring out the malt?

I just did a gravity reading and tasted it. I can taste hops, but not much malt or body. And yes, I am new.

Help!

Latest posts

Back