Priming with sucrose to sweeten

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schecter

Reaction score
Hey HBT,
I've poured over the threads and haven't found quite the answer I'm looking for; sorry if I'm reposting.
I have a small batch of hard cider in the works, and I'm hoping to make it a little sweeter to make all my drinkers content (they're all used to commercial hard cider). I pitched montrachet yeast so I know it will ferment out dry, but I was thinking priming with sucrose would add some sweetness. From what I understand, sucrose isn't completely fermentable and yields residual sweetness.
Am I correct in this assumption?:drunk:

No, sucrose aka table sugar, will completely ferment leaving no sweetness at all

Cold crash before racking to secondary and add two or more cans of AJ concentrate to sweeten to taste. If you can't cold crash, then use campden tablets to stop the yeast around 24 hours before.

I've had good results backsweetening with lactose, which is not fermentable. I use about 1/2 lb (dissolved in warm water) per gallon of cider. You'll still need to prime with sucrose if you want a carbonated cider.

I suppose I'm reading the wiki the other way around, Pappers. I thought it was referring to using sucrose in place of a fully fermentable sugar. :drunk:

Back