Priming with Maple Syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbatter35

Reaction score
First time posting - thanks ahead of time for your responses!
I've got a 2 gal batch of honey brown ale with a dash of cinnamon ready to bottle (OG 1.058 SG 1.016 steady for 4 days, safale ale -04 fermented at 69)and my cane sugar vanished like a fart in the wind. I've got a brand new 24oz container of mesquite honey from Trader Joes and a pint of homemade maple syrup from my in laws maple farm in NE PA. I can go to my lhbs for sugar, but the mad scientist in me is intrigued. ideas? I bottle in old grolsch flip tops. Northern brewers calculator gives me about an 1/8 cup of syrup or honey but doesn't specify how much h2o to dissolve it in. Much obliged!!

You can prime a beer with ANY fermentable. I give detailed info on priming with alternative primers including fruit juice (including a link to a podcast on that subject,) maple syrup, honey, and other sugars in my bottling stickey- Scroll to the lower half of this post.

Thanks Revvy!

So if my gray matter isnt too fried after reading the pdf, what I gather from Arizona Dave is this:

Using Maple Syrup - 1¼ cup for bottling and 5/8 cup for Kegging. (for 5 gal) I've got 2 gal, (40% of 5) which means I should use 1/2 cup in my priming boil. Any recommendation on the amount of water to dilute with?

One last NOOB question - The beer isnt racked, dont have the setup (yet). Could I introduce the priming solution to the fermenter (gently so as not to wake the yeastie beasties)? Seems i'd be risking oxygenation. This is my 10th batch, normally I'd use the dry sugar once the beer is in the bottle, but since this will be diluted in h2o I've got to pour out equal parts into each bottle.

So what have I learned? Upgrade to the 5 gal kit

The problem with bottling from a primary or secondary instead of using a bottling bucket, is that since you have patiently gone and let your beer settle and clear, in order to mix the priming solution and beer effectively, you would have to stir it in the carboy which would a) kick up all that nice sediment you have patiently let fall, b) possibly oxydize the beer.

It really defeats the purpose of both a long primary/no secondary or a secondary if you have to stir up all the nice sediment you patiently waited to settle just so you can have consistent carbonation.

Why don't you just go to the hardware store and make a bottling bucket? You can find everything you need, including a spigot there.

With my bottling bucket and my dip tube, I leave no more than about 3 ounces behind, which means I can get about 52 to 54 bottles per 5 gallon batch.

Go to a hardware store and get a translucent or white bucket...but look for one where the 5 gallon mark falls way below the top of the bucket. Usually it will say 5 gallons at 3rd band from the top. (oh get the lid too....I totally regret not getting it when I did.)

Then get a spigot and make a dedicated bottling bucket. It really defeats the purpose of both a long primary/no secondary or a secondary if you have to stir up all the nice sediment you patiently waited to settle just so you can have consistent carbonation.

Mine is the translucent Leaktite brand 5 gallon container with the gallon and liter markings from Homedepot.

61GTWpzk9ML._SL500_AA280_.gif

Here's a pic of mine from my bottling thread.

bottling_wand.jpg

One of my dip tubes and what gets left behind.

dip2.jpg

You'll find a ton of good info here to make bottling easier.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revvys-tips-bottler-first-time-otherwise-94812/

Hope this helps you understand better.

But in truth, you'll really thank us if you if you go ahead and make or buy one.....

Back