Maple syrup for carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil74501

Reaction score
I have a batch of maple syrup dark ale I need to bottle. I was going to use maple syrup, instead of corn sugar, to carbonate it. Just to get a little more maple flavor in it. I racked it last weekend, came up with about 4.5 gallons. OG was 1.054, I checked it the last two days and it's steady at 1.010. The syrup I have has 53g of sugar per 1/4 cup. How much maple syrup would I need to add to carb it?

Hey Phil,
I was thinking the same to prime a smoked beer with maple for a pancakes and bacon beer a while back.
Check out this conversation. Very information and gives information you're looking for.

Beer Wizard

If it were me, I'd just calculate my priming pitch as if it were table sugar, then figure out how much syrup I'd need to get the recommended weight of sugar.

You have a conversion factor for cups of syrup to grams of sugar, and there are about 28 grams in an ounce, so, working the numbers through, that's about 7.5 oz of sugar per cup of syrup.

Plugging that number into your 1/3 of cup, that'll get you about 2.5 oz worth of sugar – seems a little low for 4.5 gallons. Did your beer come out as carbed as you were aiming for using that calculator, GHawk?

Using a calculator on Brewer's friend, in order to get 2.2 volumes, I would need 94 grams of table sugar. The syrup has 53 grams of sugar in 1/4 cup. There are 85 grams in a 1/4 cup. So I need between 1/4 and 1/3 cup of syrup. I think. :p

I can only say, as little syrup that is needed for priming per bottle, you aren't going to taste it. Regular sugar would be much cheaper & probably easier, but you sure can't do any harm by using maple syrup.

I can only say, as little syrup that is needed for priming per bottle, you aren't going to taste it. Regular sugar would be much cheaper & probably easier, but you sure can't do any harm by using maple syrup.

I do have some corn sugar. I was going to use the maple syrup to get a little more maple flavor out of it.

It will give you some flavor. The darker the syrup, the more flavor you get. Try dark/robust (used to be Grade B) or very dark/strong (used to be Grade C). I did a sort of French toast ale using very dark maple syrup, vanilla beans and cinnamon. Came out great. Even with the very dark, the flavor is subtle.

Latest posts

Back