Priming with honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brausawyer

Reaction score
G'Day all,

I have brewed a batch of Belgian IPA that will be dryhopped with 2 ounces of Cascade whole hops in about one week (two weeks primary). I feel Honey would be a great priming agent so I have to ask, do I use an online calculator to find what the amount in corn sugar would be then divide by .70 to get my honey needed? Any help would be great.

Happy brewing!

isn't it 125% for the conversion? so, 4oz corn sugar needs 5oz honey, to be equal.. i think..
how did your Belgo turn out?

(fwiw, i am about to bottle an irish red that used 1.5lbs of wildflower honey in the wort.. and now that i taste it before bottling, it is very dry, slighly boozy and some hop content.. but no definite honey flavor.. so i am going to use 3.5 oz local honey and 1.5 oz light brown sugar for priming.. i hope it lends a good balance of flavor).

Here's what I did to figure out how much honey to use:

First, find out how much sugar you need to get the carbonation level you want. Then figure out the sugar content of the honey. You can use the nutrition info to get the sugar amount per serving, by weight, and measure out the proper amount to get the sugar amount you need. To do this you need honey with a nutrition label. I know that a lot of times if you get honey from a local supplier, it doesn't have the full info label, so it might be harder to get an exact amount.

te-wa said:
isn't it 125% for the conversion? so, 4oz corn sugar needs 5oz honey, to be equal.. i think..
how did your Belgo turn out?

(fwiw, i am about to bottle an irish red that used 1.5lbs of wildflower honey in the wort.. and now that i taste it before bottling, it is very dry, slighly boozy and some hop content.. but no definite honey flavor.. so i am going to use 3.5 oz local honey and 1.5 oz light brown sugar for priming.. i hope it lends a good balance of flavor).

Hey te-wa

Thanks for the post!

The Belgian PA turned out ok. It was my last batch made without using mineral salts and a yeast starter (don't ask why I didn't before lol). But I tell ya it makes a huge difference. I actually have begun Krausening for bottle carbing and so far...amazing. How's the red ale coming along?

red was bottled on the 8th. just tested a pour, starting to show some signs of carb. not enough, i'll try another bottle in 3-4 days.

Latest posts

Back