Priming With DME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frazier

Reaction score
I'm at that awkward phase of my brewing career, where I feel like I know what I'm doing and have made some very good beers, but I still make rookie mistakes.

I had bottling day all planned out, kitchen cleaned, got up early and started - only to discover that I was out of corn sugar. I was even at the LHBS a few days ago, completely passed on it. Not open today though.

Fortunately I had some DME, so after consulting the Tastybrew calculator, I used that.

My concern is that I'm committed to bringing this beer to a party in three weeks. Does DME take longer to carb, or about the same? The party will be a bunch of Irish musicians, so I'm sure they'll drink it in any case.

So, what can I expect?

Give the DME a try... use the amount suggested/appropriate for the beer style and boil for 10-15 minutes.

Don't be afraid to use good old table sugar for priming as well (tastes the same).. nothing wrong w/ dme either. you will be just fine :)

Back